EMERGENCY! PLEASE HELP ME/ SICK DUCK

The syringe you have can work. Is there some kind of senior center or nursing home anywhere nearby where people might be on oxygen and have extra tubing ? or perhaps you have one of those silly old beer hats, hidden away in the back of a closet the kind that’s a helmet that holds two cans of beer and then has tubing.?
LOL, neither, but hubby thinks just maybe the hardware store MAY have something that would work. He is going over there at 5 and bringing the syringe. The other 2 ducklings that were in the brooder with Cotswold already have the fresh new chips from this morning all wet---not from any of their water, but they poop water. They are also running around a lot. Because of this we moved Cotswold back to the box with fresh bedding by herself. We put some food, water, and the little dish of mashed peas in there for her. We felt the brooder was just too wet and busy for her right now. She is again lying in a corner head down. Breathing still normal but she has not gone near food or water. We're letting her rest a bit and then will give her more drops of the Nutri-Drench. Both of us are just beside ourselves with worry and fear.

The closest Petsmart is about 23 miles away. We called them because someone said they have the syringes/tubes. No, they do have syringes but NONE come with a tube and they don't sell anything like that, so it's good that we didn't drive there only to find that out. Looks like the local hardware store is our only option. They may have something we can adapt to our syringe and use. I wish I knew what the heck is causing my little sweet girl to be sick!

We may try to tube feed her tonight if we can find tubing. Cotswold has not eaten anything all day. Only a very little bit of the pea slurry early this AM. Not near enough. I was at one time an EMT first responder and although I never tube fed or intubated anyone I saw it done many times. I am not squeamish about it, I just don't want to hurt her having never done it. It's just so hard to not know exactly what is causing this illness. You don't really know what else to try when you don't know what the cause is. It was all so sudden as well.

I was uncertain if I was going to be able to tube feed my runner but I followed the directions on the first link I posted and got it done I had my husband hold her the first few times after that I did it on my own. You can do it . I know it saved my Runners life.

Last edited:
Our baby just passed away. She pooped and it was just runny and all white. She had a seizure and just died. I am wrecked. I want to thank all of you for your help and support. I don't know what caused this. Adam thinks it was probably a genetic issue. I love her so much.
Oh no, I am so sorry! :hugs

I am so very sorry. :hugs Most of us know how hard it is to lose them they are so very special.

We bombarded you with so much information but like you, we just could not figure out what to do for her. Most of the time though they just don't show serious symptoms until it's too late. Being genetic could very well have been it.

Back
Top Bottom