Emergency question regarding high protein feed

By and large, the problem with the wrong feed are ones of duration and dosage. I would absolutely use the 30% feed, PARTICULARLY as you have meaties. Your concerns with those are rapid growth to table, nothing else. Well, cost - but as you already have the bag, that ship has sailed.

FWIW, most of the literature I've read puts meaties in a target range of 22-24% protein first three weeks, 2% less protein next three weeks. and then finishing at either 18 or 20% after that. I've been quite please with feeding 24% straight thru, and I believe several routine posters in the meat bird threads do similarly (and post better results than I, but they both have better starting birds, and don't free range).
Do you do 12 hours on and 12 hours off with feed? Or continuous feed availability?

Do you do 12 hours on and 12 hours off with feed? Or continuous feed availability?
I free range, so... "none of the above". Its why I've moved to dual purpose, as there's no advantage to raising meaties on my current management methods.

Based on my readings, *if* I was to feed 28 or 30% protein feed to a CX line, given their known fast growth problems, I'd do 12 on / 12 off.

Hopefully those with more experience can jump in and advise as to whether the theory matches the practice.

I free range, so... "none of the above". Its why I've moved to dual purpose, as there's no advantage to raising meaties on my current management methods.

Based on my readings, *if* I was to feed 28 or 30% protein feed to a CX line, given their known fast growth problems, I'd do 12 on / 12 off.

Hopefully those with more experience can jump in and advise as to whether the theory matches the practice.
Okay I was assuming your feed plan was for CX 🤦🏻‍♀️

I would love to do dual purpose, but I also love variety in my flock and get too attached to my layers. I like the meaty meat birds too. I do process cockerels as needed though.

Back
Top Bottom