Emergency Questions!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollychicken, Apr 19, 2012.

1. hollychicken

hollychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Smiths Falls , Canada
    Ok so I will be picking up my chicks the 22nd of april (this sunday!!) and I have to bring them in the car they will be in a cardboard box (or in my hands!) do they get car sick? And is there any more helpful advice you guys could give ? Thanks!![​IMG][​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I wish we could ask them. I have never heard anyone say that their chicks or chickens got car sick. I would recommend using a box for transport, even little chicks can run pretty fast and be really squirmy.

3. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    I'd recommend a cardboard box, because they will be moving quickly (look kind of like popcorn to me) and there will be droppings. I've never seen one get car sick, and depending upon the length of the ride, make sure to take a break and give them water.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  4. curiositykt

curiositykt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Marlborough MA
    I split an order with a friend, so they came to his house from the post office, then I had to drive over and pick them up. I put a rice heat pack in the bottom of a big box, and then put their box in that box to make it extra warm. They peeped like mad the whole 45 minutes home and I had the heat turned up so I had to stop and get an ice coffee for me, the drive through lady laughed pretty hard at my peeping car.

5. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Mine were 5 weeks old when I picked them up so temperature wasnt a factor. I had about an hour in the car and they did fine in a cardboard box with holes poked in it that I kept on the passanger seat. They were very noisy at first, so I sang to them and they settled down..probably hiding their heads to block their ears!

6. StevieNay

StevieNay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    I got mine at 3 wks, and had to drive about two and a half hours home. They peeped on and off, mainly when we went around curves and they got jostled. All 8 arrived home in beautiful condition and promptly began eating and drinking, and taking over our lives.

If they are brand new chicks, remember that day-olds get shipped from hatcheries through the USPS and most chicks do just fine. I'm sure your handling will be more gentle than going through the mail. Keep them in a box in the cab, and I'm sure they'll do great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by