EMERGENCY Sudden collapse after penicillin injection

Wol1

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
SW Ohio
I gave a hen an injection of penicillin in her left breast; and within five seconds, she collapsed and was not breathing. I made up chicken CPR, patterned on infant CPR, and carried her around, bouncing her until she revived. She's now breathing, and standing on her own, but extremely weak. Is there anything more I can do for her to help?
Does anyone know what could have caused this?

She is alert and eating!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
D.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yesss.gif
SO HAPPY! BUT WHAT HAPPENED AND HOW DO I NOT DO THAT AGAIN.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts. I will look into the lung possibility. Two days ago was my first time injecting to save a chicken from infection after a soft egg broke in her and became infected. I've read instructions on here, in vet tech and chicken/avian health books, other websites for over a year, but used oral antibiotics instead. Threads about egg binding/infection made it clear that penicillin was the drug of choice for this type of infection. I inserted only 1/4 inch, drew a bit and saw no blood, and injected. This was my third time giving her a shot the same way. It's scary because I was so careful, yet this happened.

I say this not in argument, but as background. I really hope to understand what happened, because I'm sure I'm going to have to do this again at some point. Avian vets are few and far between here and unbelievably expensive. I did take her sister to an avian vet an hour away for the same thing (that's a different post on here), and it cost $115. He gave her a long-acting antibiotic injection. I'm not going to give this girl another penicillin shot, but that leaves her one day short of the recommended 4 days.

Thanks for your thoughts. I will look into the lung possibility. Two days ago was my first time injecting to save a chicken from infection after a soft egg broke in her and became infected. I've read instructions on here, in vet tech and chicken/avian health books, other websites for over a year, but used oral antibiotics instead. Threads about egg binding/infection made it clear that penicillin was the drug of choice for this type of infection. I inserted only 1/4 inch, drew a bit and saw no blood, and injected. This was my third time giving her a shot the same way. It's scary because I was so careful, yet this happened.

I say this not in argument, but as background. I really hope to understand what happened, because I'm sure I'm going to have to do this again at some point. Avian vets are few and far between here and unbelievably expensive. I did take her sister to an avian vet an hour away for the same thing (that's a different post on here), and it cost $115. He gave her a long-acting antibiotic injection. I'm not going to give this girl another penicillin shot, but that leaves her one day short of the recommended 4 days.

But if you don't give her the shot she will become septic with infection and a goner. Maybe don't give the shot in the same place, try the other breast and a different type spot. Just thoughts. I feel for her because I had a girl A+ with a sever perontitis and internal egg laying.

There are lots on here that have experience in that area. I hope someone jumps in to help pinpoint what happened. Casportpony (or spelling close to it) is around somewhere and has strong views. Check out some of her posts and shoot a pm
263a.png

I really hope someone will give some insight so this doesn't happen again. I almost killed her. She looks none the worse for the wear today. Like nothing happened. If my daughter hadn't witnessed it, I might start thinking I was hallucinating. Wonderful to see her, though.

Back
Top Bottom