Emergency Surgery - Did I do this right?

Good to know about the not suturing up the dog and cat wounds, how about suturing most of it up & leaving an opening at the bottom to drain?

It was such a huge gaping wound I think that it would have gotten very dirty if I did not close it up. She is doing well, I think she's gonna make it. Still getting electrolyte & vitamins & a little polyvisol. I figure on keeping with the Penn for about a week. I have to do my own chicken doctoring, a vet would be nice but if I'd have had to pay a vet every time I've had an injured or sick bird I'd be in the poorhouse already.

First, I am super jealous of your Anatolian. Second, I'm sorry he figured out chickens can be fun. Hopefully he didn't figure out chickens are tasty.

I've heard the no suture thing for dog wounds, but had never really thought it applies to other animals. Good to know. We have allot of dogs who run free around here so I am expecting to have to deal with this at some point.

Working Doc, at what point does it become an issue when the wound wont close up or stop bleeding? How do you mitigate that while not suturing or sealing with super glue?

Good luck, LBFarms, I'll be interested in how this turns out. Also with how your puppy does in the next few weeks with your hens.

Last edited:
I had him back with the chickens for a couple of hours today for the first time, under a close eye and wearing his shock collar. He behaved perfectly without having to zap him even once! He could have easily eaten them, he's not interested in that, he just thinks they are fun toys. I caught him in the act & scolded him good so hopefully it wont happen again. I just trusted him too soon I guess, He had pulled a few feathers out playing with some before but that was all.

That's good. Sometimes even the best pups forget themselves in a fit of excitement. Sounds like he is more concerned with your approval than his impulses which is great. Did I mention I was wicked jealous??? llol

Edit: are you conus? If so, would you mind sharing the breeder/kennel from which you got him? Either open forum or PM would be fine.

Edit number 2: Sorry, totally not trying to hijack your thread. I'm really glad everything is going well again
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I got him from a guy in Washington state, he's not a breeder but he had a pair of working dogs on a large ranch & had pups. His parents in SW Colorado, where I am, have a ranch also & he was bringing them some pups & he posted on the local craigslist and wanted to know if anyone else here wanted pups. He's awesome, we love him. He's 5 mo old and he's already weighs almost 70 pounds.Very smart & very intuitive. He's real good with the goats already. The guy we got him from is named Darin, he said to pass the word if I heard of anyone else who might want pups (from future litter). PM me if you want his email. I'm not sure when he will have pups again.

I also had a dog invade my coop...very persistent husky... i lost 1 hen at the scene but 2 survived with gaping wounds. We did suture... one hen that day... definitely field surgery but mostly skin... the second hen unexpectedly survived the night with no treatment... she also had a gaping skin laceration but also a deep puncture. So we loosely sutured the skin in place but left it fairly open near the puncture. I'm giving both .3ml of Penicillin/day and both are still alive 3 days later...I am rinsing all wounds with dilute betadine solution... i don't see any drainage and i didn't flush inside or under sutures with betadine tonight... sounds like I'm okay with Penicillin for a week... other thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom