Emergency tips to keep the chicks warm!!!

I looked them over this morning and I didn't see anything odd. One chicken has a few black spots on her but it didn't look like frostbite. I do it at night when they are roosting. They don't care to be "greased" up.
lol.png
I guess it has been helping. I have a really draft free coop too. Good luck

I do think that in places where they are accustomed to relative warmth, and a sudden and deep cold snap hits, they suffer more. Picture Florida residents getting off a plane in Minnesota wearing beach gear!

Animals who reside where it is normally cold, where it gets gradually colder, build coats and get resistant to the weather a bit better. (within reason of course) Chickens surely build up extra down or whatever it is chickens have… I think down is more a thing that ducks and geese grow, or is it? *goes to look that up*

And of course, this sort of weather is why breeds that have small tight combs were developed for the colder climates, and leghorns and other Mediterranean type breeds with big floppy combs were developed to regulate their body temp in hot weather, and they suffer more in cold weather. I know that most of you all know this as well as any, but all these "Cold Weather" threads, just bring it all home to me I guess.

This cold is a real problem.
I have a quartz heater going FULL BLAST in a 8x10x7 section in a portable building. It is sectioned off with heavy moving balnkets.

The coop part is about 40 degrees F and the rest the temp outside which is now 10 degrees.

the waterers froze last night, so I put them under the 250 watt heat lamps that I have going in extrem cold like this.

The floor is deep in pine shavings and all the holes are blocked off.

The babies seem fine, but geezzz, it is a fight.

15239_babycoop.jpg

It hit 78 here today. Got 10 eggs. Shut off the brooder lamp that I had in the corner of the coop and opened the windows. It will only get down to 45 tonight so they should be fine.

Let's talk in July.

Back
Top Bottom