Emergency turkey question

Glenmar

Songster
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
VIRGINIA
I have a broody on 15 eggs. They are due to hatch around 5-3. I was going to take the second hen out of the coop tonight. When I went to get her, I noticed that she was broody along with the other hen in the same nest box. What should I do ??????

I have a broody on 15 eggs. They are due to hatch around 5-3. I was going to take the second hen out of the coop tonight. When I went to get her, I noticed that she was broody along with the other hen in the same nest box. What should I do ??????
If it was me, I would separate the second hen. My experience is that hens sharing a nest is usually not a good thing when it comes time for the chicks to hatch. Typically it ends with some chicks getting stepped on and crushed and can get so bad as to have the hens fighting over the chicks.

Maybe you could seperate her and give her just a few of the eggs to keep her happy? I don't know much about turkeys, and never will ( my husband hates them) but I don't think it would hurt to give her split egg custody.

Will it be hard to get her off the nest without breaking eggs??
Depending on how tame she is you can probably just walk over and pick her up. If she isn't very tame just standing too close to her will cause her to get off of the nest. Of course you can watch and get her while she is off of the nest. They typically get off of the nest for a short period to eat drink and relieve themselves.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom