Emergency winter hatch thread (Partridge Orpington x Easter Egger)

What a neat holiday brightener!
The timing is definitely working out great so far. Our spring hatch just so happened to overlap with the first COVID lockdowns and was a great stay-at-home activity for the kids. Kept us occupied through the spring and summer and until they went back to school. And now this one will be just in time for winter break and the holidays, when I imagine we will also be in some lockdown or another. And, since the new chicks won't be able to go anywhere for months, and neither will we, they'll keep us entertained at home again. It's almost as if it was intentional :lol:

What a gorgeous olive!!
Have hatched quite few olives and marans, some you can see OK,
others barely the air cell.
Dark room definitely helps.
Have a lavatory with no windows about 20 feet from bator,
makes it easy to candle any time of day.
Last time I candled at night in a room with light-blocking curtains, about 4 feet from the incubator. It was pitch black. I used a candler and got good pics and videos. The green eggs were harder to see into, but I was still able to see enough. I'll do that again.

I candled tonight, midway through day 4. It's not looking promising :hit I'm gonna just say it's too early and wait until day 7 before I give up hope. Maybe it was just too early... Maybe I just couldn't see well... The room was pitch black and my candler is strong, I saw right through the eggs, the yolk, the air cell and all that, just not a single vein in sight. I candled all the eggs. Ugh! What are the chances that, out of the 11 days these eggs represent, my boy didn't get a single hump in with this hen, given that it was just him and her and her daughter?? This is gonna be a long 3 days...

I candled tonight, midway through day 4. It's not looking promising :hit I'm gonna just say it's too early and wait until day 7 before I give up hope. Maybe it was just too early... Maybe I just couldn't see well... The room was pitch black and my candler is strong, I saw right through the eggs, the yolk, the air cell and all that, just not a single vein in sight. I candled all the eggs. Ugh! What are the chances that, out of the 11 days these eggs represent, my boy didn't get a single hump in with this hen, given that it was just him and her and her daughter?? This is gonna be a long 3 days...
Bummer and Booo!!
But... :fl

If you could clearly see the yolk, should have been able to see some veins,
not many but like the day 4 pic posted previously here.
He'd been with his new hens for a few(?) weeks, had they seen him mating at all?
He was young and the new flock was older, they may not have accepted him yet?

Bummer and Booo!!
But... :fl

If you could clearly see the yolk, should have been able to see some veins,
not many but like the day 4 pic posted previously here.
He'd been with his new hens for a few(?) weeks, had they seen him mating at all?
He was young and the new flock was older, they may not have accepted him yet?
My friend says he certainly tried, and was determined, but had more success with the pullet (which is his age and not laying yet), than with the laying hen. So I expected potential low fertility with the eggs, but... nothing?!?

Back
Top Bottom