Emergency winter hatch thread (Partridge Orpington x Easter Egger)

Day 7 today. I candled all the eggs. They are all infertile beyond a doubt :hit Meanwhile my friend got two more eggs from that hen, and gave them to me as the absolute last chance. I really doubt they'll be any different, but I lose nothing to try. The eggs are free, the incubator is free... I already have it set up and running. She have me a full dozen eggs actually - those two and a whole bunch of extras from her main flock, just in case one of the special eggs makes it but the other doesn't, so I don't end up with a lonely chick. Her main flock's rooster is old and produced a whole bunch of infertile eggs that I tried incubating for her last spring, so those don't have much of a chance either... So now I have 6 loser eggs in there getting warm. I won't look until day 7 again. Slim chance anything at all will come out of them, but we'll see.

This has been SUCH a disappointment. All of it. The low success rate hatching Partridge Orps in the spring, my lone survivor dying prematurely, and failing so miserably to perform his duties given that he had only two females to take care of, and had them all to himself... Those would've been some good looking babies, too. Ugh.

Do you guys think it’s safe to cook the infertile eggs and feed them to my chickens? I want something good to come out of them, even if it’s just a chicken treat. Why waste 11 eggs. But I’m not sure if there would be any harmful bacteria in them, from having sat at 100 degrees for a week without developing... (though cooking should take care of that, right?)

Do you guys think it’s safe to cook the infertile eggs and feed them to my chickens? I want something good to come out of them, even if it’s just a chicken treat. Why waste 11 eggs. But I’m not sure if there would be any harmful bacteria in them, from having sat at 100 degrees for a week without developing... (though cooking should take care of that, right?)

If you crack each egg, and it doesn't stink, then yes I would consider it safe to cook and feed to your chickens.

I once cooked some infertile eggs that had spent a week under a broody, and gave them to the chickens to eat--but I thought pretty seriously about eating them myself, because they looked & smelled fine.

If you crack each egg, and it doesn't stink, then yes I would consider it safe to cook and feed to your chickens.

I once cooked some infertile eggs that had spent a week under a broody, and gave them to the chickens to eat--but I thought pretty seriously about eating them myself, because they looked & smelled fine.
I don’t think I could make myself eat them, but I’ll crack them open and feed them to the chickens if they don’t smell. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom