Emergeny Sick Chicken

Aug 10, 2021
Please help, I have a hen who is sick and not eating or drinking, her poop is white and she's super slow and has very low energy, it's not bumblefoot or sour crop. I've never seen anything like this.

Attachments

• 20210810_100920.jpg
    20210810_100920.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to BYC @Chickenlover12354 :frow

How old is your hen?
When did she last lay an egg?
When did you last deworm?
What exactly are you feeding, including all treats etc.?
What is the climate/temperature where you live?

Feel below her vent between her legs, does her abdomen feel squishy or rather hard?
Is it swollen?

Did you check her and the coop for poultry mites and lice? Poultry mites hide in the crevices of the coop during the day and only come out at night to feed on the roosting chickens. They can literally suck the life out of the chickens within a few nights.

Did she recently have a fight with another chicken? In your picture the clear mass surrounding the dropping topped with urates might be albumen, which would indicate a broken egg inside her oviduct.

Did you recently bring in new birds?

Welcome to BYC @Chickenlover12354 :frow

How old is your hen?
When did she last lay an egg?
When did you last deworm?
What exactly are you feeding, including all treats etc.?
What is the climate/temperature where you live?
She is around 5 years old, her last egg was about 5 days ago, she gets diatomaceous earth in her food as de-wormer the first week of every month, it is 71 degrees here

Feel below her vent between her legs, does her abdomen feel squishy or rather hard?
Is it swollen?

Did you check her and the coop for poultry mites and lice? Poultry mites hide in the crevices of the coop during the day and only come out at night to feed on the roosting chickens. They can literally suck the life out of the chickens within a few nights.

Did she recently have a fight with another chicken? In your picture the clear mass surrounding the dropping topped with urates might be albumen, which would indicate a broken egg inside her oviduct.

Did you recently bring in new birds?
Her abdomen feels normal, not too hard or squishy.I do not see any lice or mites on her or in the coop. She might have fought with another chicken but I'm not sure, the clear stuff looks like albumin, what do i do if it is a broken egg. A rooster got in her coup recently that isn't normally in there with her.

She is around 5 years old, her last egg was about 5 days ago, she gets diatomaceous earth in her food as de-wormer the first week of every month, it is 71 degrees here
While diatomaceous earth is nice as an addition to their dust bath, it does nothing to deworm them.

Depending on where you live, you might get some chemical dewormer (Fenbendazole, Flubenole or similar) to make sure it is not worms and the toll they take on a chickens overall health that have her in the state she is in.

What breed is she? Do you have an actual picture of her.

Is there fenbendazole for chickens, my horses get deformed but do you know if the horse paste is OK for chickens?
She was sold as an Isa brown but looks a lot more like a Rhode Island Red.

Attachments

• 20210810_095520.jpg
    20210810_095520.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 5
Her abdomen feels normal, not too hard or squishy.I do not see any lice or mites on her or in the coop. She might have fought with another chicken but I'm not sure, the clear stuff looks like albumin, what do i do if it is a broken egg. A rooster got in her coup recently that isn't normally in there with her.
This could be the reason for a possible broken egg if he mated her by force.

You could try this:

Give her a tablet of calcium + Vit D + K (for humans would do just fine) and a warm bath with epsom salt for about 15 minutes,
The calcium will help with the contractions to get the mangled egg residues out and the warm bath will help to relax her abdomen.

ETA: You can even use Tums for a few days in case you don't have any other calcium additive.

After the bath, dry her well using a towel and maybe even a hair dryer (careful not to overheat!). Then keep her in a warm and rather dark space to relax.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom