Emotional support chickens

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by FrizzleFrizz, Dec 2, 2018.

1. FrizzleFrizz

FrizzleFrizz Chirping

Jul 24, 2015
    so I was wondering if any of you have emotional support chickens, and your experience with that. I'm about to start the process of making my one Blue Cochin, Max into an ESA. I just need to know if I'm allowed to bring her into public, because I get panic attacks and mood swings, and she would comfort me. Am I even allowed to take her into public? I want to take her into walmart/target, and I know chickens can carry salmonella but I'm also planning to get her vet checked + screened for parasites and anything harmful. I also plan to buy her a chicken diaper so she does not make poo everywhere. She's a super friendly chicken already so I'm not exactly worried about her behavior, it's more that I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bring her anywhere.

2. Dani4Hedgies

Dani4Hedgies Songster

Oct 18, 2015
    Merriam, KS
    My house chicken Strawberry (she is my profile pic and is a frazzle Cochin) is a ESA and is welcome everywhere I simply ordered an X-small ESA harness for her and we go on with life. It is illegal for Anyone to enquire about your ESA or what you have it for.

3. FrizzleFrizz

FrizzleFrizz Chirping

Jul 24, 2015
    aww she's so cute!! Yeah I don't really think anyone will question it, and even if they do I plan to carry the certificate/note by the mental health professional on me- and I don't plan on taking her to restaurants where salmonella could spread, I just want to take her to the store with me.

4. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    ESA are not allowed to go anywhere like a service dog is.
    The only rights they have are concerning housing and travel.

Cayuga momma likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: