Empty crop at night and not eating much

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone!
I noticed Our queen bee in the pecking order, Dixie, has been very uninterested in treats, food as foraging recently. Which is very unlike her, she’s usually pretty food aggressive. She’s 1.5 years old, ISA brown.

the last 2 days I’ve noticed her crop is totally empty at night. Tonight I fed her a hard boiled egg and she ate Maybe a 1/3 of it after a little foraging. Her crop still felt pretty empty afterward though. She’s also been pecking at stuff then dropping it and walking away alot.

I recently had another hen fecal tested and everything came back fine so I doubt it’s parasites… any ideas what else it could be or what I can do?
Picture of her attached before roosting tonight.

Attachments

• 7A28F662-9F1D-434C-A9F5-165B5F1C8E76.jpeg
    7A28F662-9F1D-434C-A9F5-165B5F1C8E76.jpeg
    903.9 KB · Views: 35
What are her poops like? Has she been showing any signs of starting to molt? It doesn’t hurt to worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer just in case of worms. Tuna, canned cat food, and wet chicken feed are some other foods to try and get her to eat. A vitamin might help with appetite.

What are her poops like? Has she been showing any signs of starting to molt? It doesn’t hurt to worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer just in case of worms. Tuna, canned cat food, and wet chicken feed are some other foods to try and get her to eat. A vitamin might help with appetite.
They are small but normal. No signs of molting. I will definitely start by isolating tomorrow and try those recommendations! Thank you!

UPDATE: I havent seen any progress with her appetite so I ended up taking her to the vet.

Her white blood cell count is high and they think she has a reproductive infection. Also, her calcium levels were below "low" on the scale. (She hasn't laid an egg in quite some time, either)

The vet recommended an antibiotic and oral supplement via syringe.

I wanted to update in case anyone else came across a similar issue!

Glad that you could get vet care for her. Reproductive disorders are common in the better hybrid layers. Unless she starts laying eggs again, I would probably not give extra calcium. She may be laying internally or have salpingitis or egg yolk peritonitis. Antibiotics may not help if it is advanced, but worth a try since she is still young. Hopefully, she will still have more years of life left.

Back
Top Bottom