Em's Hens

Emily26

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Two weeks in- after a lot of deliberation I treated myself to four chicks for my 26th birthday.

I've always been a big animal fan and grew up with dogs however after moving to Australia from the UK I'm not in the position to fairly have a dog but I have a big yard..... aha CHICKENS!

Now chickens hadn't really crossed my mind until about a year ago when I started working at a childcare centre that had chickens, australorps to be precise. Now these girls were beautiful with their shiny black feathers that flashed purples and greens in the aussie sunshine but to my surprise were friendly too! Which is when I learnt chickens really could be quite affectionate and when these girls followed me to the car whenever I parked out the back I started to fall in love with chickens.

I'd originally put pets off my radar due to wanting to travel back and forth to see family but Covid scarpered that, so here I am learning away from BYC (when i should be studying for my 2nd degree), listening to the girls cheep away, actually it is only one girl in particular who I can always hear from the house.

She goes by "Cher-if I could turn back time", she's one of my two 4 week old silkies, she has a black top knot with the rest of her being partridge (I think) baby fluff. She doesn't seem the brightest and she squeaks away almost constantly, her funky hair fully makes up for this though. Her silkie sister is "Dolly- working 9-5" who sunbathes with a wing and a leg sticking out to the side giving her quite a roadkill appearance but she'll hop up and start pottering about, she is almost a complete sphere of fluff on legs.

The other two are a week older, "Nina-feeling good" is an australorp who's already a big girl she's probably the head of the pack and always the first to catch a grub, I also learnt she can pretty much climb vertically up my leg and sit on my hip. She likes to give you a good hard look like she might cuddle you or she might try and eat you. Finally we have "Queen- don't stop me now". She's a light sussex girl. My family back home find this very amusing because I moved to Australia but have a breed of chicken from my home county "Sussex". I incorrectly named this chicken, why? because she absolutely can be stopped and all it takes is to pick her up, hold her close and stroke the top of her head and she's fast asleep. Considering she was the one I didn't plan on getting ( I was holding out for a buff orpington but she was Nina's only mate left so I took her too) she's turned out to be the sweetest chick.

I'm currently in the process of persuading the silkie babies that I'm worth loving (if at least tolerating) and I'm doing this through oats.... it seems to be working! It's safe to say that I'm so pleased I got these funny little creatures and I'm very much looking forward to raising them into happy healthy hens.

I can tell you're really enjoying your birthday present :D It would be nice to see pictures at some point!

A new meaning to chicken breast...
IMG_20210427_142137.jpg
Queen makes me laugh daily atm as I discover what she's capable of 🤔

Back
Top Bottom