Emu #1 has arrived!!!!!!

flyweed

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Holmen
Hi All

well today my first 3 Emu eggs that I set on January 22nd have been moved to the lowest hatching tray shelf....when I moved them one was really rocking and rolling back and forth on it's own..the other two I didn't see much action.

So hopefully we have something hatching by this Saturday!

Last edited:
I'll try and get some photos later tonight or tomorrow...they are still rocking and rolling....Tomorrow would be the absolute earliest hatch day for them...so I'm not expecting any pipping anything for at least a few days yet.

Dan

update - - - - - - 3 of my early set Emu eggs are now rocking consistently. So it should be very soon if they are going to hatch. my later 4 that I set about 10 days later are still turning.

Dan

UPDATE-----had #1 hatch about 30 minutes ago. he's out and resting in the bottom hatching tray of my sportsman 1202. Another egg is still rocking like crazy. So I am sure by tonight or tomorrow morning I'll have two Emu babies.

I took some photos of the hatch
DSC_1083.jpg

DSC_1084.jpg

DSC_1086.jpg

DSC_1087.jpg

DSC_1089.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
hi again

so today is day 55 on these first 3 eggs I set. yesterday the first hatch..I have another egg that hasn't pipped yet, but the egg is still rocking and rolling, and I can hear the baby scratching the egg surface and also chirping. Should I open the large end of the egg up, or should I let it go for another day yet? The 3rd egg has no sign of life..so I think that one's a dud.

Thanks for any input or advice.

Dan

well...I didn't wait....I listened to the egg to where the loudest chirping was coming from..and I cracked a small hole into the shell there, and pulled a bit about the size of a quarter away...the emu had sounded, and he was ready to come out...after I did that...he started working the shell, and in less than an hour EMU #2 WAS OUT!...he's drying off now and will join #1 in the brooder tonight.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom