Emu Chick Question!

DAlms

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2021
Hey everyone! Been looking for answers, but can't find much.. we had an emu chick hatch late last night and let it rest in the incubator. This morning we moved it to the brooder (with a non slip material down).

Noticed it last night, but hoped it would have corrected by the morning- it is keeping its toes together, and not separating them to try to walk, but kind of butt scooting/leg pushing all over the place? It is super active and super alert, just not seeming to separate the toes.

Is this something I should try to correct as soon as possible? or is this normal for a 12 hour old emu chick?

Thanks for any help!! We have 2 more hatching now, so I am curious to compare toes lol

I've never had emus, but it sounds like its a minor issue. I think you should try to correct it sooner than later.. better safe than sorry. Maybe it's normal for a newborn emu, though. We'll have to wait to see what others say..
Good luck!

Hey everyone! Been looking for answers, but can't find much.. we had an emu chick hatch late last night and let it rest in the incubator. This morning we moved it to the brooder (with a non slip material down).

Noticed it last night, but hoped it would have corrected by the morning- it is keeping its toes together, and not separating them to try to walk, but kind of butt scooting/leg pushing all over the place? It is super active and super alert, just not seeming to separate the toes.

Is this something I should try to correct as soon as possible? or is this normal for a 12 hour old emu chick?

Thanks for any help!! We have 2 more hatching now, so I am curious to compare toes lol
Also, do you have a picture?

Picture!

Attachments

• 20210427_073345.jpg
    20210427_073345.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 29
Emu chicks take a few days to absorb their yolk sacks, usually around 3 days. In that time they may not move around much, they wont eat or drink for the first 3 days approx.
Curled toes is quite common in emu chicks, and should straighten out after a few days. If after a couple of days it doesn't then get some cardboard, something like a cereal box, cut out some paddles to fit the feet and tape them flat on to the paddles for a couple of days. It should straighten itself over a couple of days, so no need to take action unless it is still there after.

'In that time they may not move around much, they wont eat or drink for the first 3 days approx.'

In the wild, they don't get to eat or drink until Dad leads them from the nest. But I understand that they are active from the first, zipping in and out from under Dad, and looking at the world.

This is 'Boy Emu.' There were five hatched chicks under him at this point in the 4-day hatch (which was attended by the female).

Attachments

• 500x1000px-LL-45e82cd1_BENESTIING.jpeg
    500x1000px-LL-45e82cd1_BENESTIING.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom