Emu chicks an Dad Emu

dnkfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Iva, SC
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the emu chicks away from dad?
fl.gif
He has never been aggressive but I know he is VERY protective of his chicks.

Hey ya, DNK!!!

Hmmm . . . many views no replies.

This sounds crazy, but there's the cardboard box propped up by a stick to which a piece of string is attached to which the other end is attached you. With Yummy for Chicks under the box. Chick goes under box. Pull string.

If you can corral Dad Plus with a fence that the chicks can pass through -- again, something Yummy for Chicks. The chicks may pass through the fence to get the Yummies.

But this is gonna be a hard one, hey! And the chicks will be frantic to be separated from dad. I've seen it here when a chick gets on one side of a fence, and can't get back to Dad.

How about a torch-equipped night-time snatch??

If we don't get a reply in a week, we'll send BYC folk with shovels and flowers around to your place.

SE

Last edited:
Ah I'm in trouble. I cannot let him raise them. There are 4 chicks. I intended on incubating the eggs but he was setting on them before I could even find the nest. Is there anything that I can use as sedation for him?
barnie.gif

Hey, Dodo!! Certainly my suggestions were not great -- the carbdoard-box trap would work if you were sufficiently patient, but we all know we're clutchin' at straws here.

FOR GENERAL CONSUMPTION:

never ever put yourself in a small space with a male whose chicks you are trying to take.

We've had long and impassioned discussions over the years about Are Emus Ornery? SUV-front-seat-lock porridge-brains post on Youtube "Emu Attacked My Wife"; but the reality is never worse than a ravaged cupcake.

But when denied the chance to run, a bird may lash out; and it will do so way way faster than a human can deal with.

I've had the privilege of watching emus lash out during fights for territory, twice from close close range; and it made my heart beat fast.

SE

Last edited:
When I went to see them yesterday as I approached the chicks ran thru the fence onto neighbors property, not far just outside the fence. If I can enlist my neighbor for help I think I can use this. The dad is receptive to me and will eat out of food dish with me holding it. I HAVE NOT tried to touch the chicks. So I might be able to get my neighbor to grab the chicks when they run thru the fence or trap them some way. I am trying to get them used to me feeding them so maybe, just maybe I can get them without anyone ending up With emu footprints on their forehead.
fl.gif
I'll let you know.

Plan it carefully, DNK. The chicks will always stay on the far side of Dad. If there is a person visible on the other side of the fence, the chicks will stay right by Dad: they will move away from him on the 'off side' from you if they see no threat -- but it there's a threat on both sides, they will stay close to Dad. You'll have to figure out how the Assistant 'slips in' between the chicks and the fence once they've passed through it.

SE

Hey, Dodo!! Certainly my suggestions were not great -- the carbdoard-box trap would work if you were sufficiently patient, but we all know we're clutchin' at straws here.

FOR GENERAL CONSUMPTION:

never ever put yourself in a small space with a male whose chicks you are trying to take.

We've had long and impassioned discussions over the years about Are Emus Ornery? SUV-front-seat-lock porridge-brains post on Youtube "Emu Attacked My Wife"; but the reality is never worse than a ravaged cupcake.

But when denied the chance to run, a bird may lash out; and it will do so way way faster than a human can deal with.

I've had the privilege of watching emus lash out during fights for territory, twice from close close range; and it made my heart beat fast. 

SE
. I was thinking small pen to keep dad safe! I have seen birds that will hurt themself rather then let you take chicks away. Maybe a 4' x4' with wood sides 6' tall about 1' off the ground. Put food in pen wait for them to go in close gate, then you can net his chicks under the wall and no one gets hurt. And you are right emus can be hard to work if they don't want to.

Hey, Dodo!!

Well, we're all on the same page: lure the chicks through a fence through which Dad can't pass.

Speaking of which: going to town (nice clean air-conditioned vehicle), saw Dad plus four in a paddock of wheat, quietly grazing.

se

Back
Top Bottom