Emus in Harness & Ziploc Diaper (Video)

MarissaC

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 12, 2011
Near Waco, TX
In Harness (Indoors) -
Out of Harness (Outdoors) -

These are some of my new emu chicks! There are four altogether - Archimedes (male), Sapphire (female), Genghis Khan (m), and Amethyst (f). Thanks to the suggestion from Chicken Zoo (who I found via Google), I went and got my emus some harnesses! THEN! I decided I wanted them indoors...

Unfortunately, I'm terrible at sewing and only accomplished breaking my sewing machine *sigh*
So, I used a ziploc bag, elastic, and duct tape to finish transforming a harness into a poopy catcher! Not very attractive looking, but it works until I can get into a better relationship with my sewing machine, haha.

Genghis Khan - Red Halter
Archimedes - Black Halter
Sapphire - Pink Halter
Amethyst - Blue Harness

Last edited:
Also, if anyone could help me think of a way to build the cloth diaper on the backend of the harness, that would be great!
Or if you just have an idea of how to make a diaper for an emu (without the harness), it would be very much appreciated. Hopefully I'll have a new sewing machine soon. I already have some really cute material (it has little dinosaurs all over it, haha)

They are adorable! But my question is why indoors? Or why not indoors in a pen ? I can not imagine the dust dirt and smell of these running loose in my home. IRS are better contained or in a garage basement etc, not where one lives and eats. .... Just my opinion :)

They are adorable! But my question is why indoors? Or why not indoors in a pen ? I can not imagine the dust dirt and smell of these running loose in my home. IRS are better contained or in a garage basement etc, not where one lives and eats. .... Just my opinion
smile.png

They're outdoors mostly. They have a little pen and shelter. I just bring them inside every so often (not for more than a couple hours, usually).
Plus, I live in this really oddly tiny house currently. If I had a basement or garage, I'd let them run loose in there a bit...but alas, not the situation, hah.

Back
Top Bottom