Emus In Massachusetts

Just to get back to the OP, I have been told the state does currently require permits, I am awaiting emails back from 3 people who work for the state in various departments, one of whom is the permit coordinator. I also found this page but the wording is confusing as it appears to says they are only required for emu inteded for commercial use(meat, oil, nails, feathers, eggs) but not for pet. http://www.mass.gov/agr/animalhealth/poultry/ratites.htm
If
you are interested I can post their responses when I get them.

So this is what I was told:
"MDAR; Animal health will require you to purchase Salmonella pullorum negative emu. Make sure the seller gives all the required certification; a bill of sale or paper stating that they were a gift and the S. pullorum negative test results. After you get the birds to your location if you do not move the birds off your property or sell or give away any eggs, chicks or adult birds you do not have to continue the annual test. If you do decide to exhibit, sell or give away hatching eggs, chicks or grown birds you must have a current (within 12 months of the test date) S. pullorum negative test before moving the birds or eggs.

I just spoke with Bob Arinni from Mass. Fish & Wildlife, they will require you to give them your contact information but will not require you to have permits.

Hope this helps, please remember that you do need to get any bird from a S. pullorum negative flock and you will have to keep that information as long as you keep the birds."

The man who sent me that email was Edward Hageman. Bob Arinni is one of the people you would contact for a permit if you needed one, I also wrote to him but I assume I will not hear back since he already spoke with Hageman.
So basically if you get a some for pets a permit will not be required, and as long as you keep it on your own property you will not be required to test them. And you will need to keep record of sales and such as he said in the email above.
I hope that satisfies your question.

Well, I'd love to have you for a neighbor! I used to have emu egg suppliers close to my town (I live in Groton, MA). Unfortunately, they moved out few years ago. Their emus were beautiful, non smelling and not loud (for those who judge so intelligently without even knowing them!!). Their eggs are beautiful and delicious. I still have some up on my shelves for decoration. Of course, they are empty. If you ever find where to get the chicks, please share with me!

Well, I'd love to have you for a neighbor! I used to have emu egg suppliers close to my town (I live in Groton, MA). Unfortunately, they moved out few years ago. Their emus were beautiful, non smelling and not loud (for those who judge so intelligently without even knowing them!!). Their eggs are beautiful and delicious. I still have some up on my shelves for decoration. Of course, they are empty. If you ever find where to get the chicks, please share with me!
Hi! I live nearby and just googled "emu farms in Massachusetts" and it looks like the only one that comes up is the SONGLINE EMU FARM out in Gill, MA. They are on Facebook and here is the link to their website. www.allaboutemu.com I haven't looked through the entire site so I'm not sure if they sell chicks or not. Good luck! BTW, it's only about 1.25 hours from Groton and just north of Amherst, MA.

Back
Top Bottom