• Icelandic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

joer77

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Dayton Ohio
I am thinking of choosing a endanger breed of chicken to add to my set up. I raise Barnevelder's, Black Cooper Marans, and Serama's now with a mix's of layer hens. I would like to pick a dual breed that is a good producer of both meat and eggs. I like good temperamental chickens that are well mannered and not too flighty. I what to improve on the breed and try to get more flocks established. Anybody have a breed you would recommend or like? I thought of Crèvecoeur or Houdan but I know there are a lot more breeds in trouble too.
Awesome Crevecoeur roo copyright jpg.jpg
Houdan-Chicken.jpg

The Speckled Sussex is in a lot of trouble.
there are few strains of high-quality Speckled Sussex. lots of poor specimens sold by the hatcheries but the high quality speckled Sussex ...the keepers of the flame for the breed ...are in serious population trouble. they really need somebody to Champion them.
the high quality birds are there... but *very * few people are breeding them, both in Bantam and in large size fowl.
Just because of breed is old and well-known doesn't disqualify it from needing help. Unlike some other breeds , the Sussex has a rich literary history in English. the help is there, we just need more people to pick up the breed in high-quality Birds.
Best ,
Karen and the Light Sussex in Western Pennsylvania

The fact that the speckled Sussex is a tri-color breed gives the same Pause to people who consider it ,as those who don't wish to handle the Houdan because of it's ornamental extremities.

Yes, I checked "The livestock conservancy". Does anyone know about the Crevecoeur breed? Are they flighty or aggressive? How is their production? I keep finding different reports on them.

There are so very few Crevecoeur.
it's one thing to want to save an endangered breed .it's another thing to have enough gene pool to do it. right now I think there's less than 10 of breeders of this breed in the United States. they're working on enlarging the gene pool
do they have a national Club you can talk to? there's a thread for them here on BYC.

Ok, check out http://www.feathersite.com
Click on : " Feathersite - The poultry page" .
Scroll down to:
" chickens - alphabetically by breed".
Click on " A-C "
Click on Crevecoeur .
A full page will come up about the breed with a link to an extensive article on them . Plus, the info contact the Crevecoeur National Breeders Club. it's in Cridersville Ohio.
One bit of counsel if I may be so bold. Buy the best from a breeder who has line-Bred their birds for a while. So they know what is in their gene pool and how the pool throws faults and virtues.
In a breed like this hatchery birds will not suffice. Buy the best from the best and let them know you will be linebreeding them.
Don't cross strains to found your flock unless specifically counseled on how to do it by a successful veteran breeder in that breed. Excellent way to start out is with "started birds". Not chicks or eggs. In "started birds" you can see more of what the birds will be.
All things I learned the hard way.
Best,
Karen

Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Also, the conservancy has a book about breeding for conservation; conserving endangered breeds with a tiny gene pool is very different from breeding for show. It would be a worthwhile project!
Karen, as much as I love SS, my experience with the cockerels and cock birds has not been positive; 50% human aggressive! My white Chanties have done much better! The Chantie hens aren't so 'in your face' friendly as the SS hens, but the cock birds have been much more likely to be polite. Mary

Hi Mary,
this is not the first time I have heard about problems with the speckled Sussex temperament. I don't get it. historically the Sussex is a docile breed. my light Sussex are gentle . The Roosters are noble and gentle.
why is there this problem with the speckleds? if I had to guess, I think some people are breeding for correct plumage color and neglecting other parts of the bird's make up. that saddens me.
Karen
Looking forward to my large fowl White Chanteclers in August.

Back
Top Bottom