enemies forever?

curliet

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
west Michigan
I have 5 hens left from my flock that I'm keeping, after rehoming all the rest. No. 1 (beautiful glossy black Americauna) is just 7 months old, squatting now, but no eggs yet. Nos. 2 & 3 (Auracauna and RIR mix) are just 6 months, starting to show some color changes but no squatting yet, and no signs of crowing either. The last 2 are 19 months old, (Auracauna) just went thru molt and are starting to lay again. The laying isn't the problem.

The older 2 have decided that they like being the "special" hens in the family and are showing remarkable teamwork in keeping the other 3 youngsters away from the food and water. I tried putting an extra feeder in the run at first, because the naughty ones would chase the babies outside and keep them there. As soon as they figured out that the babies had food out there, the naughty ones split up, one would chase them back into the coop, the other would chase them onto the roost and then they both sit on the bottom rung so they can't get down. I do let them all out to free range for awhile each day, and then also lock the 2 older ones in the run for a few hours every afternoon to allow the babies access to the feeder and water. This helps, but I don't always have time to supervise all this. I thought that after a short time, they would all adjust to their situation and, if not get along well, at least manage to cohabitate. But it's been a few weeks now, still going on. Will this ever end????

Last edited:
Nothing is being "naughty" here. They are just chickens being normal chickens. It's the pecking order plain and simple. Out of sight out of mind is a great idea with the feed. Generally the aggression will become less, but occassional bouts of reinforcement will take place. You are making all the right moves. The bullied chickens will survive.

Humm. I once learned that if a chicken is pecking you, you should hold it beak togheter. I once had the large rooster that will chaser all the other 7 chickens away to get all the greens to hiself. When he died of a racoon, the other were kinda crowing in joy. Try hold the two chickens that are bullies to you.
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif