English Chick, read about John Mortimer

country lady

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
NW Tennessee
EC I am happy to hear about your eyes. That should cheer you up for the new year!

I just read that John Mortimer died. I really enjoyed his Rumpole series. He also wrote the script for my favorite movie, "Tea with Mussolini." Very interesting man.

Hi country lady,

I agree it is excellent news about her eyes, ''

I am also a big fan of Tea with Mussolini, he was a brilliant writer.

Was also addicted to Rumpole.

Jena.

Jena, don't we have good taste! Wasn't the scenery, also Cher's costumes, breath-taking in "Tea with Mussolini"? The pattern books have quite a bit of retro patterns now. I also loved the cast.

We don't get the British mysteries anymore. My favorite is still Hercule Poirot. I saw David Suchet the other day on TV, just a promo for a movie, I think. Peter Ustinov was very good but I think I prefer David Suchet in that role.

I was in the bookstore this morning and saw a premier issue of "Irish Quilting" magazine. Have you seen it? Do you sew? It's a very nice magazine.

Hi Country Lady,

Sorry for delay, yes I love Poirot, and I have enjoyed both David Suchet and also Unstinov, who was brilliant.

We are getting a series here with David Suchet on one of the cable channels, I watch it on Sunday Mornings. He is really very good.

Yes I sew and knit. I have not seen this magazine, but would love to do more quilting. I have not done a lot due to work commitments really, but I am now trying to set up my own business in Crafts. I hae a book of Log Cabin Quilt patterns.

I knit a lot of Scottish Arrans, and I am doing a craft Fair in 2 weeks time, so I am rushing to complete some of my work right now.

But I also sew a lot, I have to go away again on the weekend, as I have to attend a funeral outside London, but I have a full week when I get back to complete some more work ready for the show. I will take some pics when it is all prepared.

I am determined to do more quilting, and soon.... lol.

Jena.

Hmmm again sorry,

Yes I loved the costumes, I would love to dress always in the beautiful graceful clothes of the 30s and 40s.

Women looked so elegant then. Lol... not that I am elegant but maybe the clothes would maketh the woman....I live in hope.

Jena.

Thank you Countrylady, it has cheered me up!........

I have to admit (dare I !) that I am not a lover of the British mysteries....oh dear.....have never liked Rumpole of the Bailey, or the Inspector Lynley Mysteries or Poirot.......nor have I watched Tea with Mussolini.....(EC bows head....)

I prefer American shows........

But before the arthritis struck I was an avid knitter and crochet..ahh loved that, but the hands don't work as quick as they used to with the needles or the hook. WOuld love to be able to quilt, I do have books on quilitng, but never seem to find enough time to sit and and use a sewing machines.......there is always other things calling on my time.....maybe when my boy is older and I have more free time.......

But thanks again for your good wishes....
hugs.gif

lol... Hi Linda,

Don't count on that Boys always need something done by Mum.

My eldest came to see me yesterday with a mystery box in his hands.

I have learned not to get excited . After a chat and a coffee I was enlightened. he is stuck with his accounts that have to be completed by the end of the month.

Lol.... then the younger one came home as well, Ohhh dear can't wait until I am back in Essex.

So glad about your good news yesterday, will mail you later.

Jena. x

EC, we all are relieved about your good news. I may not be as expressive as others but I was watching your posts.

My son and DIL gave us Netflix at Christmas a couple of years ago and we watched mostly foreign movies. We rarely go to the movies because so many of them are just plain raunchy. At our age, we have heard it all and it simply bores us. Too, I retired from the theatre dept. at our local university and I am weary of the acceptance of foul language in every day life. Sorry about the soapbox, merely meant to explain why I don't care for American movies.

HOWEVER, my favorite actor is Robert Duvall--do you know he can tango! His wife is from Argentina. Hope you have seen "Secondhand Lions." Great movie. After seeing Cary Grant, so elegant, how can I relate to today's stars!

The only problems that I have with the British movies are sound quality and accents. Sometimes sound quality is at our end, one particular PBS station. I loved Inspector Morse. My favorite period is just before 1900 through 1940s. Foley's War was good too.

Back
Top Bottom