English Laurel toxic to chickens???

Adventurefamily5

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Raleigh, NC
In our neighborhood, we need to "properly screen" our run so that it is not offensive to the neighbors. I selected some beautiful azaleas and was about to put them in, when I discovered they are toxic.

We decided to put in boxwood, which the landscape nursery did not have... but that is supposedly poisonous, too.

Then I traded my azaleas for English Laurel. The lady at the nursery thought I was nuts. I brought them home, and guess what? They are on the toxic list. Seems like every plant under the sun is on the toxic list.

So what do I plant as hedging around the run? Someone else posted that they have laurel and her birds roost in it. Am I being silly? I do have the concern that they will pick at the plant through the wire run because there is nothing green in the coop and you know chickens must investigate everything.

I had also planned to build a planter for an almond tree and a dwarf cherry, which, surprise! Are toxic, too.

Any thoughts?

Hmmm, tough one. I would definitely stay away from the azalea family, laurels are related to azaleas. But I have never seen my chickens peck at a bush, let alone be poisoned by one, but I can see it is better safe than sorry.
I would try hydrangeas, they can get really bushy and are pretty. Our chickens LOVE burning bushes also, they get huge and beautiful in fall and our chickens roosted in them when we had them.
Hope you find something that works!

Back
Top Bottom