enjoying the attention!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have been keeping chickens for a little over a yr. I started out w/ 12 POL pullets and a roo. They weren't lovey -dovey by any means but the 5 that are still here have come around, they let me pick them up but don't really appreciate it... Then I purchased 2 Black Copper Marans and they are wild as song birds. They don't even want me to walk by--I hope they will calm down over the next yr as my older girls did.... Then I purchased 11 --3 week old Ameraucanas... I have held them, checked them and just tried to handle them twice a day...For the most part they are ok w/ me but there is one little pale blue girl and a little black girl that seem to really enjoy my attention.. They will come and sit on the swing w/ me and 'chat',preen and sleep. They even let me pick them up and sit in my lap while I pet them... @ 10 weeks old, they are becoming my favorites... I have been really enjoying their attention. LOL it's so much fun having chicken TV..

Do you appreciate your chickens attention?

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Yes, I do! I have a variety of breeds but it's one of my EE's that follows me everywhere and loves to be snuggled. My friends say I'm just weird to love on my chickens.

They're not different from any other pet and if they enjoy our company why not enjoy theirs!!

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My Isa Browns are the friendliest of my chickens, they are soo curious!

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Like I said in my post it took me 26 week for my girls to become friendly, now that 1 decided to let me pet and hold her the others seem to be jealous and want attention too

5. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I sure do, I got mine as day-olds just to make sure they would be friendly, and that's what I got! All my girls are awesome, and if I sit in a chair in the yard they will all join me for a head scratch or back rub. When they are done, they hop off and continue foraging. They always come back for more 20 minutes later though. [​IMG] I find it funny that they all have their preferences, at times they just want to be left alone and will groan when I pick them up. Other times, they crowd around me while some purr to get held. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by