Enlarged Crop / Prolapsed Cloaca

Cream City Chick

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 28, 2010
Milwaukee
Hi All - I need a little advice after searching thru the posts:

Here is the situation. I have a 4 week old easter egger (along w 21 other chicks that I hatched). Doing great up until yesterday. The found sitting still and fluffed up. Examined her last night - found distended fluid filled crop and prolapsed cloaca. Some whitesh poo around cloaca, very small amt of blood.

All the other chicks are fine. The substrate is aspen shavings. I am feeding Purina medicated chick starter to all.

I pushed on the crop and alot (maybe 20cc) of clear odorless fluid came out of her mouth. I put triple antibiotic ointment on a qtip and gently pushed the cloaca back inside. I isolated her, removed food and water for a few hours. Gave her water back. She drank. I checked her again a few hours later. Again distended crop - pushed the water out. And, cloaca out again. Got preparation H - lubed up portion that was outside and pushed it back in. Gave her 1 cc olive oil. Again took away the water (so now she is w/out food water). I just put paper towels in the brooder to eval for poops.

What I want to know...

Should I be doing anything additional or less?
How much olive oil should I give her and how frequently?
If the cloaca prolapses again do I just keep doing the prep h and pushing it back in?
Is olive oil or mineral oil more appropriate?

Could this be from ingested bedding?

Thanks so much for your help!! I am sorry if this is redundant thread. I looked all over for amt / frequency of olive oil to no avail.

Jodi

Update, She seems to feel a little bit better this morning. Slightly less fluffed, moving a little bit more. 2 pretty normal looking poops overnight.

This morning. I gave her another 1 cc dose of olive oil. Allowed her to drink about 10 sips of water... What next??

Should I be doing anything additional or less?
How much olive oil should I give her and how frequently?
If the cloaca prolapses again do I just keep doing the prep h and pushing it back in?
Is olive oil or mineral oil more appropriate?
How long before I start giving her more food / water?

Please respond
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom