1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Enlarged liver with white nodules

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maryhysong, Dec 1, 2015.

1. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    I have butchered a lot of chickens over the years but this I have not seen before. I've had several mystery deaths in point of lay pullets that I was not able to examine. This was the last one. Seemingly fine one day and dead the next. [​IMG]
    The body cut open you can see how enormous the liver is and how it is full of white cysts.

[​IMG]

A close up of the liver

[​IMG]

I sliced open part of it so you can see the inside of the nodules which are firm

The body cavity around the heart was filled with blood. The heart looked ok tho it seemed just a bit small for the birds size[​IMG]

The membrane holding the duodenal loop was thick and opaque instead of thin and transparent. There were some round worms in the intestines. So I will be worming the flock. I'm wondering could those cysts on the liver be from tapeworms? Any other ideas?

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Spotty liver disease, perhaps?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have very little experience with necropsies or butchering chickens, but just today I was Googling "liver disease in chickens" and in the images, I found a few like that. It can be from cancer from avian leukosis or Mareks disease, but there may be other diseases that cause it. Others on here such as those who butcher chickens like yourself, may chime in with suggestions.

4. Free Feather

It does look alot like the images of Marek's, but I am no expert. I just know that it does not look like Blackhead or Fatty Liver Disease.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's not blackhead. I'll try to find my Marek's liver pictures.

-Kathy

6. maryhysong

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    I have had a hen with fatty liver disease and this is not it. This bird weighed almost nothing and had no fat in her

7. maryhysong

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    i would be really interested in the Mereks liver pics. Mystery deaths affected only one pen and that pen is the only one that had chicks from another source

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Remind me in a day or two if I haven't posted them.

-Kathy

9. maryhysong

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    Thanks will do. I

10. Free Feather

Yes, I said I do not think it looks like either of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by