ENORMOUS lash egg stuck in abdomen

Kawkawkaye

Songster
Nov 23, 2017
Kimberley, Western Australia
One of my lovely 3y/o isas has what i am speculating as a lash egg the size of a baseball inside her abdomen.

As background, she’s been a dodgy layer since day dot, and has laid many lash eggs in the past and gotten over countless associated infections. She hasn’t laid an egg or had an incident in ~6 months now.

Last week i found her quite fluffed up and lethargic, with infection-smelly poos. I monitored her throughout the day, and the next morning she was completely back to normal... except for a solid lumpy mass the size of a baseball palpable inside her abdomen! I am certain it wasn’t there before, and with the symptoms presented and her background i’d say it’s a lash egg. Since, she’s been thriving and you wouldn’t know there was anything wrong.

My gut tells me her outlook isn’t good, but i’m doing my research anyway and have some questions that i haven’t been able to find answers to yet.

1. How long does it take for a lash egg to form? I had always assumed they took a bit of time to layer up, but whatever’s in there had cropped up overnight, which surprised me. I don’t know what else it could be unless it’s a mass that’s somehow migrated from her chest cavity.

2. In the case that it has RUPTURED from her oviduct and is now in the abdominal cavity, how long until i can expect that to get nasty? I recently necropsied a hen that had died very suddenly and found its oviduct ruptured. Of course she may have been hiding her pain for a while. I don’t know how long i should wait until i let my guard down.

3. Can anything happen to a lash egg that’s just chillin’ in the oviduct? (Side note - i’m assuming it’s still within the oviduct only because it’s in the far right of her body cavity. Of course i can’t confirm this - it could be in her abdomen). Regardless, is the lash egg capable of minding its own business? Is it likely to cause death by itself? Cause secondary infection??

If no... since she’s poopin alright at the moment is the lash egg alright to chill there? The only other complication i can forsee is if she tries to lay another egg and becomes impacted/internal, but since she hasn’t laid in months this isn’t likely to happen for a while.

Thanks in advance for anybody that’s able to help me!!

Back
Top Bottom