Enough feed?

Grophens

Chirping
May 5, 2021
I have a small brood of 12 hens. They have access to laying mash all day. Each morning I give them a scoop of cracked corn and a scoop of meal worms. I repeat that in late afternoon. They have a really good sized range area for foraging. Is this enough food? Should I add anything to their diet?

follow up - the usual estimate is something like 1/4# of feed per bird per day. Obviously, the size and activity levels of your birds will affect that rule of thumb, but its a good place to start. Then watch their behaviors. If they eat all the food in 5 min and are begging for more, they need more feed. If they eat for 15 minutes, then walk away with a big pile of food left behind, cut their rations.

With 12 birds, you are looking at 3#/day as a start, your 50# bag should last a bit more than two weeks.

Hope that helps, apologies for the fast response above - it was meant as a place holder, not snark.

follow up - the usual estimate is something like 1/4# of feed per bird per day. Obviously, the size and activity levels of your birds will affect that rule of thumb, but its a good place to start. Then watch their behaviors. If they eat all the food in 5 min and are begging for more, they need more feed. If they eat for 15 minutes, then walk away with a big pile of food left behind, cut their rations.

With 12 birds, you are looking at 3#/day as a start, your 50# bag should last a bit more than two weeks.

Hope that helps, apologies for the fast response above - it was meant as a place holder, not snark.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom