Enough heat

Antshatchingeggs

Hatching
Feb 27, 2023
So I built my first homemade incubator last night and I put 2 40 watt bulbs on the lid of the container it's a kind of a big container do you think 40 w bulbs will be enough I have two of them

So I built my first homemade incubator last night and I put 2 40 watt bulbs on the lid of the container it's a kind of a big container do you think 40 w bulbs will be enough I have two of them
Welcome to BYC! :welcome I'm glad you joined us. This is the BEST place on the internet to get help with your poultry questions and share stories!
Do you have photos of the incubator you can post?
As said above, the only way to know if it's within the right temperature range is to test it with a thermometer (or two, or three!).

To incubate correctly, you need to be able to measure and control temperature very closely. Like @Ridgerunner below, I recommend you install a thermostat to control the lights and temp. You also need a small tray (or two) of water to control humidity. It needs ventilation holes - not a lot, just a few.

Will you be setting eggs your chickens laid, or getting hatching eggs from somewhere else?

(edited to correct incomplete information)

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana. Glad you joined.

Did you install a thermostat? The eggs need to be incubated at a specific steady temperature to hatch. It's not something you can guess at and expect regular success. The thermostat turns the heat on when it gets too cool and turns the heat off when it gets too warm. Adjusting the thermostat is a big part of incubator building.

Did you install a fan? If you did you have what we call a forced air. The fan blows the air around so the temperature should be the same anywhere inside. In a forced air that recommended temperature is 99.5 F (37.5 C).

If you did not install a fan then you have what we call a still air. Warm air rises. In a still air the elevation is very important. All eggs should be set at the same elevation and the recommended temperature taken at the top of the eggs is 101.5 F (38.6 C).

Even if it has a t-stat it's still a good idea to have a calibrated thermometer in it to double check. In my cabinet incubator I have one on each shelf.

Back
Top Bottom