Enough Room?

earlyredrooster

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Harrisburg, Ar
We recently ordered five different breeds of chickens, five hens and two roosters of each. We want to keep the roosters seperate untill were ready to breed them. Is a 10'X12' run big enough to keep the roosters in and double as a breedig pen? The hens will be freerange the rest of the year.

So, basically ten roosters in a 10 x 12 pen? Theoretically, it's big enough, but the problem may be fighting. Roosters don't always get along. Better chance of harmony, with no hens around, but you're going to have hens they can hear and see, so all bets are off, as to a peaceful flock of ten roosters, in a 10 x 12 pen, or, a pen of any size.
My extra roosters live in 4 x 8 chicken tractors, one to a tractor, until they go into a breeding coop/pen. I put two roosters in one tractor, once. Wasn't a good idea.

So, basically ten roosters in a 10 x 12 pen?  Theoretically, it's big enough, but the problem may be fighting.  Roosters don't always get along.  Better chance of harmony, with no hens around, but you're going to have hens they can hear and see, so all bets are off, as to a peaceful flock of ten roosters, in a 10 x 12 pen, or, a pen of any size.
My extra roosters live in 4 x 8 chicken tractors, one to a tractor, until they go into a breeding coop/pen.  I put two roosters in one tractor, once.   Wasn't a good idea. 

No one rooster in each 10'X12' pen, then add hens when getting ready to breed.

We recently ordered five different breeds of chickens, five hens and two roosters of each. We want to keep the roosters seperate untill were ready to breed them. Is a 10'X12' run big enough to keep the roosters in and double as a breedig pen? The hens will be freerange the rest of the year.

Maybe I am not being clear, 10-10'×12' runs with one rooster in each. Then add hens when want to breed.

Maybe I am not being clear, 10-10'×12' runs with one rooster in each. Then add hens when want to breed.

I misunderstood. That is about the same size as my setup. Works well and lots of room when you put the hens in for breeding. I lock them up and start collect eggs on the third week for hatching, since I usually have a couple of roosters out with the hens.

I misunderstood.  That is about the same size as my setup.  Works well and lots of room when you put the hens in for breeding.  I lock them up and start collect eggs on the third week for hatching, since I usually have a couple of roosters out with the hens.

Thanks, I will try to be more clear in the future

Back
Top Bottom