Enough Space?

Devon519

Hatching
Feb 16, 2020
China Grove, NC
Hi all! New here. We have previous experience with ducks and guineas, but new to chickens. We have 10 chicks (9 future hens + a roo) and 5 guineas arriving in July. We have a 6×6 coop with attached 6×12 run on order, but we expect that they will be free-ranging the majority of the time since I'm home to keep an eye on them most days. Is this enough space or are we asking for trouble? In my experience it's tough to know what the guineas will do (roost in the coop or not) until they do it. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi all! New here. We have previous experience with ducks and guineas, but new to chickens. We have 10 chicks (9 future hens + a roo) and 5 guineas arriving in July. We have a 6×6 coop with attached 6×12 run on order, but we expect that they will be free-ranging the majority of the time since I'm home to keep an eye on them most days. Is this enough space or are we asking for trouble? In my experience it's tough to know what the guineas will do (roost in the coop or not) until they do it. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
If you are housing the chickens without the guineas, you will have problems. With the the guineas, much worse.
The absolute bare minimum coop space per bird without a fully predator proof attached run is 4 sq ft. The absolute bare minimum run space per bird is 10 sq ft, more is better.

we expect that they will be free-ranging the majority of the time

In the rain? The snow? If a neighbor gets a new dog that regularly escapes to chase chickens?

There can be many reasons to keep the chickens locked in, or even that they'll keep themselves in--so the coop probably isn't big enough. The run won't help at all in rain or snow unless it's got a roof.

I agree with DobieLover about minimum coop space, except that you can squish a LITTLE smaller if the chickens are banties. But 6x6 is only 36 square feet (so max 9 chickens if no guineas), and then you have to subtract any space taken up by the feeder, waterer, nestboxes if they're on the floor, and so forth--so maybe 6 hens and a rooster?

Also check roost space. A foot of roost per chicken is a good amount, more is fine, a little less might work depending on the size of the chickens.

@DobieLover and @NatJ have hit the critically important points of space issues.
..and I agree with them both.

So, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Devon519
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
1581950596711.png

In the rain? The snow? If a neighbor gets a new dog that regularly escapes to chase chickens?

There can be many reasons to keep the chickens locked in, or even that they'll keep themselves in--so the coop probably isn't big enough. The run won't help at all in rain or snow unless it's got a roof.

I agree with DobieLover about minimum coop space, except that you can squish a LITTLE smaller if the chickens are banties. But 6x6 is only 36 square feet (so max 9 chickens if no guineas), and then you have to subtract any space taken up by the feeder, waterer, nestboxes if they're on the floor, and so forth--so maybe 6 hens and a rooster?

Also check roost space. A foot of roost per chicken is a good amount, more is fine, a little less might work depending on the size of the chickens.
All good points, thank you! Back to the drawing board we go.

Back
Top Bottom