Enough space???

madisonmama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
North Florida
We have increased our flock size and are increasing the run and coop space. Our original coop has 6 nesting boxes and roosting for 20 chickens. Our original run is 10' x 20'. The added run will be another 10' x 20'. The added coop space will be 3' x 10'. We lost over half our flock this time last year from predators, so I'm no longer comfortable letting them free range. I have a chicken tractor that I plan on using for planned breeding. We currently have 49 in our flock. 5 are mature birds, 44 are chicks ranging from 2 - 7 weeks. 6 chicks are going to my daughter, I will keep my original 5 and 23 of my pullets. The remaining chicks will go to auction. Do you all think I am providing enough space for 28 birds?

How many square feet of total floor space will you have? I think there should be a minimum of four square feet of floor space and 18" of roost space per chicken. Having room to move around comfortable reduces squabbling for chickens and clean up time for humans.

Does your weather conditions allow your chickens to be out in the run all day, every day? If not they might need more room inside the coop.

Our run has 10 square feet per chicken but they are all employed full time as landscapers and unless it's raining they get out into their portable runs for mowing, weeding and fertilizing duties

I have about 800 sf of run and about 80 sf of roosting for 28 mature birds. Half the run has a metal roof and the other is a fenced roof.

Back
Top Bottom