Enrichment for quail

Luna bean

Chirping
Feb 23, 2022
Southern Indiana
What would you give your quail for enrichment? I just was able to get my quail out to their 8ft long x3ft wide x 2ft high hutch. I have a sand box in there for them and they LOVE it! But I was wonder if I could add Oak branches with leaves, or black walnut branches with leaves as something they can run and hide behind.

I wouldnt give them oak. From what i have read oak is toxic to quail. Unsure on walnut...but I give mine apple tree branches...they seem to lay better whenever they have "natural" cover.

....I don’t have quail. Seasoned oak branches make great perches and I don’t worry about using those. I love how twisted they are and appreciate the different levels on one cured limb...
But. Oak, cherry, walnut - with leaves, I would avoid.
For different reasons but all have toxicity issues esp w the foliage. Cherry leaves and pits contain a form of cyanide - i have seen some people claim the limbs are also not safe, others say they are fine.... I just personally avoid the cherry for anything other than the wood stove.

Apple (most other fruit woods), fir, pine, dry oak are my go- tos. I do occasionally also use dry maple branches for my perches if I’m in a pinch.

I know a lot of folks like to use cured / dry lumber.... I like them to have the bark to grip.

Maybe I’m wrong. If so, I’m sure someone will chime in 😉

Hiding places are something they definitely need. Many people use pine or other branches. I use cardboard boxes because they are easy for me to get.
Mine love cardboard boxes…. sitting on top and (of course) getting some quiet time inside. 🙂

I’ve also used small opaque (colored) totes- set upside down (no lid on the bottom, just the footing) and cut “doors” in the sides.
....boxes are great....but totes are much easier to clean.
Again. I’ve not had quail, so maybe they are less messy. But it’s nice to be able to wash / sanitize and reuse the totes-

I’ve also used small opaque (colored) totes- set upside down (no lid on the bottom, just the footing) and cut “doors” in the sides.
....boxes are great....but totes are much easier to clean.
Again. I’ve not had quail, so maybe they are less messy. But it’s nice to be able to wash / sanitize and reuse the totes-
I just compost the boxes when they get dirty. There's no shortage of boxes around here.

Back
Top Bottom