Ensure Protein Shake for my scissor beak

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bernard P. Fife, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Bernard P. Fife

Bernard P. Fife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Alabama
    I have a 9 week old EE that is a severe scissor beak. I know we're fighting possibly a losing battle, but we're trying to keep her going. She's half the size of the others, but shows no other signs of weakness or sickness. In fact she is the friendliest one in the flock. When I go into their temporary coop she's the first to greet me and has even started flying up to me and landing on my outstretched arm. =) She never fusses when the girls and I pick her up and is just an all around calm and sweet to the core chicken. She has also been a great life lesson for my girls that there are things in our life that need and depend on us and that we shouldn't judge something by the way it looks.

Anyway, my question is this: we've been taking her out of the coop and letting her eat a yogurt/crumble mixture in a deep bowl and has been going well. I got to thinking about those Ensure drinks and how they have good amounts of protein, vitamins, and calories. Has anyone else tried to feed an underweight chicken this, or is it a crazy idea? I thought about trying the plain vanilla or butter pecan flavor. What do yall think?

2. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI

I don't know if it would hurt her or not but I'm sure you could go a cheaper route. Scrambled eggs, yogurt and some poultry vitamins. I'm not sure if the iron in the ensure drink would be a good idea. I know when you buy the polyvisol childrens vitamins for chicks they say to get the one without the iron. Maybe someone else will have more knowledgable advice Good Luck

3. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama

Seems like I have read from another post that feeding them sugar is not a good idea. My memory may be wrong though. Do those drinks have much sugar??

4. Bernard P. Fife

Bernard P. Fife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Alabama
    Some do, but I thought I saw some awhile back for diabetics. I could be wrong....

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The Ensure drinks aren't very good for animals (other than humans) the amount of sugar 18 grams and the amount of salt 200 mg I would think would be bad for poultry of any type.

Chris

6. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I agree with the other posters, dont do the ensure but stick with what you've been doing, yogurt and maybe some kefir mixed with the chick food, maybe some oatmeal mixed with yogurt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by