"Entertainment" for 4 week old chicks in brooder...

rachelpotter

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
So i'm trying to come up with some ideas to help break up the boredom of the brooder until the coop is done. Any ideas for 4 week old chicks? We take them outside at least once a day for supervised "play" time, but was trying to come up with something for the brooders themselves. I have 2 right now.. adding a 3rd today to allow more room... 5-6 birds per brooder.

TIA!

Rachel

If you can add a perch they would appreciate it. We just have a feeder in there with wood on the top and they fight over who is "king of the hill".

A roost is a good idea. Do you have shavings on the floor of the coop? Scattering some of their feed over that will encourage scratching behavior and will keep them busy for hours. Add a few small mealworms for them to find and they'll be happy chicks.

Release live crickets. Give them a pile of sprouts. Make a dust bath station for them. Fill a plastic cat ball with greens they can peck and chase.
Really great ideas! I have been digging chunks of sod for them every couple of days to peck at...

Back
Top Bottom