Entertainment for Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by darcylapp, Jul 8, 2010.

1. darcylapp

darcylapp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Madison
    I just got three Easter Egger day-old chicks today! So adorable. Does anyone know of anything they might find entertaining? Like toys or games?

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Chicks love crawling around on low branches, sleeping, and scratching. What I did was put small sticks around the brooder for them to climb on (They could climb out of the brooder if it doesn't have a top!) and spread some chick starter in their litter (straw or pine shavings in brooder) for them to search and scatch for.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    I'm new, so this might have been a bad idea, but after they were a couple of weeks old, I put in cardboard paper towel and toilet paper rolls for them to play on. It was a riot to see them practice perching and climbing over them! Of course they only lasted a day or two each due to the chickies' restroom habits, but you could start collecting now and see how many days you can keep the playground running.

4. EastTexasChick

EastTexasChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    One day I heard my baby chicks screaming so I ran in there to check on them and found that they had gotten ahold of a moth (flying around the brooder lamp), was soo funny watching them play keep away that my hubby now catches moths outside and brings it to them to play with every once and awhile...

1 person likes this.
  5. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I put a small box with sand in their brooder. They love taking sand baths, eating sand, fighting over who gets to be in the box, perching on the edge, etc. It's great fun to watch them.

6. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    A sand box sounds like a cool idea! I just got chicks yesterday and have been wondering how I'll keep them occupied once they start sleeping less - cause right now they seem perfectly content with sleeping, eating, drinking, repeat. I have a stick propped in there for them right now, but so far they haven't really shown any interest in it. We're building them a small tractor this weekend so they can begin short outings.

7. PuffinStuff

PuffinStuff Out Of The Brooder

I put small bread ties or small cut pieces of insulated wire in various colors in the pine pellet bedding. They instinctively think it’s a worm and who ever finds it first has to run like crazy/ instant rugby game. Make sure it’s big enough so they can’t actually eat it and remove after the winner is announced.

8. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    I have a mirror in my brooder and occasionally they will peck at them selves!
    [​IMG]

9. Tiffany

Tiffany Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Lol omg to cute.
    Im going digging for chick toys lol

10. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Cat toys....I gave mine 4 little cloth balls about the size of a golf ball. I am not sure who is doing it, but now one of them keeps putting them in the nest boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by