Enthusiastic, unskilled rooster questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by swatchick, Feb 28, 2012.

1. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    I have a 9 month old Buff Orpington rooster and 10 hens in a 4x10 house and two 8x10 runs (one on each long side of the house, both accessible all the time). Roo is, shall we say, very enthusiastic about his rooster duties. All ten of the girls are losing all of the feathers on their backs and he is very unskilled when it comes to mounting them, often grabbing them by the back of the neck when they are too far away and then chasing after them like that. I'm starting to feel bad for the girls, and worried about the feather loss, and I am wondering three things: 1) is an over-enthusiastic rooster ever going to be less enthusiastic?, 2) will he eventually get more graceful about mounting the hens so they aren't so frequently subjected to the neck grab-and-chase, and 3) since he is at his peak enthusiasm first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening, would keeping him separate during those times help, or would he just do the same thing when he got back in with the girls?

Oh, and an add on question, do any of your rooster sing the egg song when your hens do? This guy shouts out like he laid the eggs himself, which makes him one noisy fella, as he also crows about every half hour throughout most of the day and often throughout the night. (Fortunately we live pretty far from all of our neighbors!) Just curious.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Yes he will figure it out, once the girls figure out it is easy to stay still then we grabbed.

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I think it is just the enthusiasm of youth, and he / they will settle down as time goes on.

Yes we have roosters who get in the act when someone lays......

We do have enough roosters that the crowing is fairly consistent around here.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All of the actions that you list speak of raging hormones. As he matures he should settle down. If you are concerned about the wear and tear on your hens and still want fertile eggs, allow 'conjugal' visits once or twice a week.

5. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for your replies -- I think I'll go ahead and make him a bachelor pad so the girls can get a break now and then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by