Entire batch dead in shell

CrazyCluckyKate

Hatching
Dec 10, 2020
Day 24, had 1 pip but no movement for 24 hrs. All other eggs silent, still and starting to smell. Decided it was time to investigate.
The pipped egg I slowly slowly started to help out but soon realised the chick was dead. The pipped hole had shrink wrapped to it, it was malpositioned (pipped on the side) and once i fully "hatched" it, its intestines and a small bit of the yolk were outside of its abdomen. It appeared to have been dead for a little while. As its beak had dried out and discoloured.

The others i candled and floated them. There was no movement, there seemed to have been some hemmoraging in the eggs, and didnt appear to have developed any further than when i candled them at day 18.

I will perform eggtopsys later on to work out what age they died.

I have never had a whole batch die! What could have gone wrong??

Day 1-18 temp of 37.5-37.7 humidity at 45-55%
Day 18-24 temp 37.5-37.7 humidity at 66-67 %
At "lockdown" i placed them in a new incubator which was planned to be the hatching incubator which has had a steady heat and humidity. I have not used this incubator before.
I'm thinking this new incubator wasnt calibrated correctly?
Any ideas?
I have another 2 batches in my old and trusty incubator, both set at different times. I'm so scared I'll kill them both if i can't figure out what went wrong!!
Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry for the loss. There is nothing worse than getting to the finish line and coming up short when incubating. Your theory make sense. Maybe the drop in humidity is what caused it.

So i just performed the eggtopsys, most appeared to have died before beginning to absorb the yolk, im assuming thats about day 18?
I'm going to get another humidity reader to see how accurate the display is.

I'm sorry for the loss. There is nothing worse than getting to the finish line and coming up short when incubating. Your theory make sense. Maybe the drop in humidity is what caused it.

What do you mean drop in humidity sorry?

The humidity seemed stable and there was even water droplets forming on the roof. I'm thinking maybe it was too high but I'm unsure..

Day 24, had 1 pip but no movement for 24 hrs. All other eggs silent, still and starting to smell. Decided it was time to investigate.
The pipped egg I slowly slowly started to help out but soon realised the chick was dead. The pipped hole had shrink wrapped to it, it was malpositioned (pipped on the side) and once i fully "hatched" it, its intestines and a small bit of the yolk were outside of its abdomen. It appeared to have been dead for a little while. As its beak had dried out and discoloured.

The others i candled and floated them. There was no movement, there seemed to have been some hemmoraging in the eggs, and didnt appear to have developed any further than when i candled them at day 18.

I will perform eggtopsys later on to work out what age they died.

I have never had a whole batch die! What could have gone wrong??

Day 1-18 temp of 37.5-37.7 humidity at 45-55%
Day 18-24 temp 37.5-37.7 humidity at 66-67 %
At "lockdown" i placed them in a new incubator which was planned to be the hatching incubator which has had a steady heat and humidity. I have not used this incubator before.
I'm thinking this new incubator wasnt calibrated correctly?
Any ideas?
I have another 2 batches in my old and trusty incubator, both set at different times. I'm so scared I'll kill them both if i can't figure out what went wrong!!
Thanks in advance!
20201204_10372515.jpg

I had this happen to many purchased Marans eggs last year- I lost about 9. it is really disappointing. I hope you figure it out. Please post your results or any findings.

Back
Top Bottom