Entire flock not leaving roost in the morning

zebular13

Chirping
Mar 16, 2020
I just went outside at 8:40am and heard all of my birds making noises on their roost inside the coop.
I've had my birds for two and a half years, and usually, if the sun's up, they're up. I have a long run, and their food and water is at the farthest end of it, quite a ways from the coop, so they tend to hang out there.
But this morning for some reason they haven't left the coop.
Could it be because of a sudden drop in temperature? Maybe they're cold? (my coop doesn't have much insulation)

Even on the rare occasion in the past when it has dropped to the 20s (Farenheit) the chickens have always hung out outside the coop. They were even happily playing outside during Seattle's snowpocolypse in 2019 when we got two feet of snow.

I just went outside at 8:40am and heard all of my birds making noises on their roost inside the coop.
I've had my birds for two and a half years, and usually, if the sun's up, they're up. I have a long run, and their food and water is at the farthest end of it, quite a ways from the coop, so they tend to hang out there.
But this morning for some reason they haven't left the coop.
Could it be because of a sudden drop in temperature? Maybe they're cold? (my coop doesn't have much insulation)

Even on the rare occasion in the past when it has dropped to the 20s (Farenheit) the chickens have always hung out outside the coop. They were even happily playing outside during Seattle's snowpocolypse in 2019 when we got two feet of snow.
Maybe they are on a strike. What did you say to them yesterday? 🤪😝🤣

Maybe there's something scary outside? They could be staying inside to be "safe."

It could have been a hawk flying over or a dog running by, or something making noise in the run during the night. Or even someone using a leaf blower.

I would take a really good look for possible predators or other dangers, but if you don't find anything it's probably just chickens doing some chicken thing that we people don't understand.

Oh yes, that is very possible! There are plenty of predators here - neighborhood dogs, eagles, owls, and raccoons.
One of my hens was freeranging in the yard last week and never came home, so possibly the predator that got her knows where the chickens are and came back for more? I will have to keep an eye out!

Back
Top Bottom