Entire flock of 50+ chickens became very weak in matter of few days.

Is there a vet in your area that could perform a necropsy on a couple of the bodies?
Sadly no. There is a government facility that helps a little with people's livestock but their suggestion was to give chickens glucose syrup. So yeah no access to any vet.

You say they wander through the village and neighbors have flocks. Chickens are not very good at social distancing. If it was a contagious disease wouldn't others be having the same problem?

You say they wander through the village and neighbors have flocks. Chickens are not very good at social distancing. If it was a contagious disease wouldn't others be having the same problem?
Neighbours do have a few chickens and yes they do get close to other chickens but not for long cause there is lots of area in between. So they do go out but usually not for long. And no one else is having such a problem till now so I am not sure. And I am guessing it has to be a contagious disease cause I had some silkie chickens which I raised from eggs indoors and when they got big only then I let them go outside so they never leave the property at all and they too have died.

All but three are dead now. And all the three remaining are brooding. They were in contact with other hens but they seem to be doing fine.

Mix breed should have no effect. Your chickens are not dying from a genetic defect. They are dying from an undetermined cause, that is still a mystery. Without testing the dead chickens, everything is a guessing game. I also know you have no access to get chickens tested.:( :hugs .
My only suggestion is, if you do resume getting another flock, get your chickens from a different village source, and see how that will work. That is all the suggestions I can offer,,(think of)
Thanks a lot for your reply. So I do get chickens from lots of different sources. Which is wrong if I think about it now.
But why are brooding chickens okay? Only 3 hens are doing fine and all 3 are brooding. Any idea on that? I thought if other chickens somehow eat poison or something bad but as brooding chickens don't get up to eat often maybe they survived? Or maybe brooding chickens have a stronger immune system or anything?

I think your property has some kind of virus since your last flock has died in the same manner. Are any of your neighbors' chickens suffering the same fate as yours? Or are they alive and just fine?
Thanks for the reply. Neighbours chickens are doing fine till now. Does the virus stay for this long on the property? If it does then I guess that was it for me to ever keep chickens again.

Thanks a lot

U_Stormcrow

That message is extremely helpful. And thank you for taking the time to write.
I think Mycoplasma might be a possibility after reading what you wrote. I will read about it more.
Cavemanrich, now talking about poisoning. Help me a little here. So chickens which I raised indoors don't go far from the coop. Only older ones go far. So say older ones were poisoned somewhere else and they came back. Is it possible that other chickens that didn't eat poison maybe got sick being in contact with affected chickens?

Thanks a lot

U_Stormcrow

That message is extremely helpful. And thank you for taking the time to write.
I think Mycoplasma might be a possibility after reading what you wrote. I will read about it more.
Cavemanrich, now talking about poisoning. Help me a little here. So chickens which I raised indoors don't go far from the coop. Only older ones go far. So say older ones were poisoned somewhere else and they came back. Is it possible that other chickens that didn't eat poison maybe got sick being in contact with affected chickens?
I do suggest reading more, but I don't think its Mycoplasmosis. Far too many birds died, far too rapidly, and you are missing other symptoms which mark the disease. If your flock of 50 had 48 get sick, it took much more time for symptoms to progress, you got the lameness and joint swelling with the green diarrhea, then only had 5-8 actually die from it - THEN MS or MG would be my diagnosis from afar.

Potential poisoning (deliberate or accidental) in a food source would be my next focus - but not a case of something affecting your own feed bags, or it would have affected your ducks and broodies, too. If it were a water source, I suspect your ducks would have been first to succumb to it.

Back
Top Bottom