Entire flock trying to kill chicken

MNBobcat

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
We have mixed breeds of RIR, Leghorns and silkies with a silky rooster.

We have one hen where if she gets out of the nest box to get food or water the entire flock tries to kill her. I'm not talking pecking at her. I'm talking trying to pin her down and do major damage to her. For the last week we've had to move her into a separate temporary run with food and water in the morning and then put her back into the coop in the evening. We put her directly in a nest box.

Obviously, we're not going to keep moving this chicken every day like that. I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking we're probably either going to have to butcher her or give her away. Has anyone else ran into this situation and if so what did you do? She is a nice hen and better behaved then the other chickens.

Originally I thought she was in the nest box because she was broody but clearly it was because she was being attacked.

Is this a hen you recently added to the flock? Or has she always been in the flock and they are now attacking her?

Is the temporary run where you put her during the day in the area where the flock hangs out so they can all see and be seen but can't get at her?

Is this a hen you recently added to the flock? Or has she always been in the flock and they are now attacking her?

Is the temporary run where you put her during the day in the area where the flock hangs out so they can all see and be seen but can't get at her?
Good questions^^^.
Also, how many birds, how old, and how big is coop and run(feet by feet)???

She has always been with the flock and they are now attacking her. They are about 1 1/2 to 2 years old.

Yes they can see her in the temporary run. Its about 20 feet away from their run.

No they don't free range. The run is too small but it was built when the ground was frozen and its all I could do at the time.

Last edited:
It may be she is injured and you didn't notice. I had a juvenile and he got his leg injured, the next thing I notice they are all jumping on him, attacking and he just laid there and let them. Chickens instinct is to rest when they are hurt so that may be why she has been spending so much time alone, in a nest box (sheltered). I separated him, putting him in a small cage for a couple of days until he was healed. Afterwards I slipped him back on the roost with the rest. When I went out the next morning everything thing was normal.

It may be she is injured and you didn't notice. I had a juvenile and he got his leg injured, the next thing I notice they are all jumping on him, attacking and he just laid there and let them. Chickens instinct is to rest when they are hurt so that may be why she has been spending so much time alone, in a nest box (sheltered). I separated him, putting him in a small cage for a couple of days until he was healed. Afterwards I slipped him back on the roost with the rest. When I went out the next morning everything thing was normal.

She was bleeding and pretty roughed up from the other chickens attacking her but didn't appear to have any other injuries.

Bird could be ill, something not seen with the eye.....or she could be low bird in the pecking order and the crowding(too small run) is making it way worse.

Is there any chance you could let them out to free range and see how she acts and how the others treat her? Also, do you have anything to keep them busy in the run, like litter for them to scratch in or things for them to peck at?

Back
Top Bottom