Epipen

Glenmar

Songster
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
VIRGINIA
I am going to be getting bees at the end of the month. I wanted to get a few epipens to have on hand in case someone is stung and has a severe allergic reaction. I am not having any luck getting them, apparently they are Rx only and I am not allergic.
Does anyone else have these? Were they hard to get?

Last edited:
Everyone you've spoken with is correct. They are by prescription only.

Not sure who you are wanting to treat with an epi pen, but if you are thinking of having it available to give to basically just anyone, you are opening yourself up to serious liability if you were to administer epi to someone that does not have a prescription or you have not been directed by medical personnel to give it. There are serious side effects to epinephrine and just administering it to anyone can cause serious problems.

I doubt that your business liability or homeowner's liability insurance would cover a lawsuit if you gave someone epi without an ok from medical personnel (like a prescribing physician or a 911 operator working under an MD medical director).

For your own wellbeing, I do not recommend attempting to circumvent the system by attempting to get epi pens just to have on hand unless you have someone in your family with a known anaphylactic sensitivity to bee stings and obtain a valid prescription..

(from a Registered Nurse who works with attorneys)

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that everyone who had bees had them on hand. I guess it is not needed that often.

You're welcome. It's thoughtful of you to be concerned for others. The injection itself can cause serious (life threatening) side effects, and it's only a temporary measure at best until paramedics can arrive (hopefully they're not more than a few minutes away). Otherwise, if someone has an unknown allergy and has a severe first time reaction like that, unfortunately, it could be the last reaction they ever have.
hmm.png

Thats a great question, Glenmar! I am thinking about getting bees also, and had worried about this also..

Some years we have a lot of yellow jackets and bald face hornets and are a long way from an ER so I keep a good supply of benadyrl or similar over the counter antihistamines on hand. Years ago when working in a remote area I got caught in a cloud of yellow jackets pretty bad. I made a paste with the antihistamine capsules and water and rubbed it directly on the bites. It seemed to help stop the bites from swelling very quickly. If some one is having a dangerous reaction calling the paramedics is really the best way to go.

Epipens also expire after a year so you would need a standing prescription to get more even if you were to get some initially.

Most people who have reactions like that keep there epi pen on them. I know I take mine with me everywhere. Plus if the person knows they are allergic to bee's im sure they would stay away from your place. It will be impossible for you to get one unless it was for yourself and threw a doctor. Just keep a phone near incase you need to call 911 when you have people around.

Back
Top Bottom