Epsom Salt Soak Question

MerryFeather

Chirping
May 10, 2021
I have a duck that I am soaking to help with an egg being stuck possibly. I put some epsom salt in the water but she keeps taking little sips of the water. Is that bad for her? Should I drain the epsom salt water and just use warm water?

I have a duck that I am soaking to help with an egg being stuck possibly. I put some epsom salt in the water but she keeps taking little sips of the water. Is that bad for her? Should I drain the epsom salt water and just use warm water?

Yes it will help u can add some coconut oil too in the water it will help in lubrication .

No not at all .. in small quantities it won't harm at all

Epsom salts can have a laxative effect. Diarrhea can contribute to dehydration. Dehydration can contribute to egg binding.

If she takes a couple sips that's probably not going to make a big difference, but lots of sips add up. Especially with a smaller duck body compared to us. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

Plus, I take my ducks to the vet when they get egg bound and they have never recommended epsom salt baths.

Have you given her calcium?

I found an avian vet and she is on her way there right now. It is a bit of a drive but hopefully it will help us figure this out. They are on layer feed and usually have oyster shells. They also get out and free range a bit.

I found an avian vet and she is on her way there right now. It is a bit of a drive but hopefully it will help us figure this out. They are on layer feed and usually have oyster shells. They also get out and free range a bit.
I hope things turn out well! If she is egg bound they should be able to see it with a radiograph. Please let us know how things go for your sweetheart.

I hope things turn out well! If she is egg bound they should be able to see it with a radiograph. Please let us know how things go for your sweetheart.
They did take a radiograph and saw an egg. Thankfully the vet said we caught it early so Phyllys was still in good condition otherwise. Although her abdomen looked like maybe a yolk was in there loose. We have anti-inflammatories and antibiotics to try to help her belly. She did lay the egg this morning! Hopefully her belly will get better.

can scented epsom salt be used for thus
I would not use any scented varieties. Ducks often take a few sips - even though we try to keep them from it. If we were to somehow keep them from drinking any ducks would probably ingest some when preening.

If you want more opinions I would start a new thread. For the best advice ask your avian vet. 🙂

If you have a concern that a duck is having laying issues. No need to soak her in Epsom salt water just plain warm water will work. The soak is just to help her relax enough she may be able to pass the egg. Using Calcium gluconate and warm water soaks are the best treatment. Also, Vet help if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom