Equal Parts "Aaaaaaw!! I want!!" and "Ack!!! OMG! Why??!!"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheRidingLibrarian, Apr 2, 2009.

1. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    [​IMG]

Really?
    Is this really necessary?
    OK, fine part of me soooo wanted a blue and a purple one...
    As if their natural cuteness isn't enough to persuade people to impulse buy, they gotta do this? I was tempted to leave my name and number with the Feed Store to hand out to people, so when they grow up and aren't cute anymore they could give them to me.

They got them from Ideal, in case you were wondering.

And yes, I restrained myself from bringing any home...barely.

2. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    The meanest rooster I ever had was an easter chick, so No thanks for me!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    they could be Cornish Xs and getting from customers would be a bonus for your dinner table!

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont mind the dyed chicks as long as it is done humanely. What I dont like is the people that go out and get a couple chicks for their children for easter (same with dyed easter bunnies). Why in the world would you by a chick for easter? [​IMG] Then, once the dye goes away, and the feathers come in, they arent cute anymore, and they just get tossed outside, or worse (flushed down the toilite).

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    A friend once got almost 100 free chicks the day after easter. They were all dyed pretty colors and unsellable.

Boy was her freezer full a few months later.

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    They had a reminder on the news the other day that chicks are illegal in Davenport, IA. They are legal where I live but not in the big city where our most local news station is. I guess people were buying the cute colored chicks at the farm store and they couldn't even legally own them in the city. Poor chicks [​IMG] It's just like puppies and kitties bought as presents and dumped. Sad.

7. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    Quote:Hmmmm good point. Maybe I need to call that store and leave my name and number!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by