Equimax Questions???

Once they go to the coop at night to sleep, simply worm them the next morning before sunrise in the dark. They will be easier to worm. More importantly, they will have empty stomachs from not having been fed since the day before and the wormer will be more effective eliminating the worms. Then wait a couple of hours after worming them, then go ahead and feed them a little at a time, then back to normal feeding routine.
Hey, can she kill herself from stress? She is so MAD and won’t stop pacing or screaming from being stuck in the coop. I gave her the Equimax about an hour ago, and she at it right up over like 4-5 flakes of soft oatmeal. (Trying to feed her almost nothing). Anyways she has fresh plain water and I put a buddy in with her to hopefully help her cope better. She is one of my most social girls and this worm infestation has not stopped her one bit.😂 I just want to make sure this won’t make things worse for her.

Alright I waited about 4 hours. And then let her out and gave her a small feed portion.☺️ Thank you so much for your help!❤️

Yes, Equimax is soft paste. I've used it and it's safe for your chickens, but not safe for the tapeworms, it kills them. As a matter of fact, you might even see whole parts or sections of the actual tapeworm excreted in feces after using the Equimax. I've seen it happen.

Because the paste is soft, you can even draw it up using a syringe without a needle in order to dose the infected chicken(s). There are no risks using Equimax. Just use common sense and follow the dosing amounts I provided in your other thread and everything will be fine.

An easy way to give it orally is to cradle the hen in your forearm. Preload the syringe with the paste. With your arm cradling the hen, use your thumb and fingers on the same hand (same arm) and pull straight down on the hens wattles and her mouth will open.
With your free hand, grab the pre-loaded syringe and shoot the paste in the hens mouth and quickly let go of her wattles so the hen can swallow the wormer. Done.
Release the hen.

Practice that procedure, a dry run so to speak. You'll be an expert in no time when it comes to worming chickens and/or even giving them liquid medications and/or liquid wormers when the need arises.
One last thing: It's best to worm early in the morning before sunrise. Go out to the coop when it's still dark. Bring a flashlight, get your syringe loaded up, then snatch a bird off the roost and worm her, then release her. Snatch another bird off the roost and repeat again. Chickens cant see in the dark, take advantage of it while they are roosting.
THIS is a perfect way to dose chickens. I'm a night person, so I do it at night after they've settled in. But the holding, pulling and snatching is so on point. It's also far less frustrating than adding anything to waterers only to watch your chooks drink from mud puddles, bucket lids and in one case...the toilet.

THIS is a perfect way to dose chickens. I'm a night person, so I do it at night after they've settled in. But the holding, pulling and snatching is so on point. It's also far less frustrating than adding anything to waterers only to watch your chooks drink from mud puddles, bucket lids and in one case...the toilet.
It would be better to worm the birds in the morning before sunrise because the birds havnt eaten. The wormer will be more effective getting rid of starving worms.
Since birds feed before going to roost for the night, worms will have been fed the absorbed nutrients in the bloodstream. They wont be as weak as they would be in the morning. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom