Equimax withdrawal time frame for deworming

SBaltz

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Dixon, California
I have a small flock of 6 and one of my girls (all still under 6 months old) managed to get tapeworms. I researched like crazy and found a natural form for deworming that we tried first, but that now looks like it was not successful. She still shows signs in her poop of tapeworm. So back to research and after honestly getting quite frustrated at the contrary advice, I decided to go with Equimax, because that seemed to be, from my searching, the most commonly successful treatment, based in what I found. Upon further research for egg withdrawal, now I find even more contrary advice! I have seen 8 weeks withdrawal, 14 days withdrawal, lifetime withdrawal. I know that everyone has different success stories, but it seems like what works for one flock does not work for another. Add to that, the folks at our local feed store had never heard of using Equimax for deworming, so now I am questioning my choices again!
My question is: in using the Equimax to deworm for tapeworm specifically, is there an egg withdrawal time and what are the dangers to humans of consuming eggs within that withdrawal time? We do not sell any eggs, just for our own consumption.
also, the guidelines for using Equimax says to without food for 24 hrs before use, but I am not sure how quickly or such I can reintroduce food to them. I only need to deworm one, but I would rather not isolate her if I don’t have to during the fasting time period.

thank you.

Thankyou! I was trying to find that thread and was not having any luck.There is just so much out there, my head is spinning in which is the right choice. I am second guessing my purchase of the Equimax, and looking more in the direction of Wazine and Valbazen, just based on what seems a more common treatment.

I use Valbazen.
But I recently heard about Equimax from @Kiki I believe. She’s really knowledgeable. Maybe she can tell you...

I've dealt with tapeworms many times. They are a pain in the butt to get rid of because their hosts are insects. Chickens eat insects. That said, not all insects are going be hosts for tapeworm infections. Controlling the insect population can be done but I prefer not to for safety reasons.

I've used Valbazen, Safeguard, Zimecterin Gold and Equimax to treat tapeworms.
Safeguard liquid goat wormer did not treat them at all. Valbazen worked initially, but I'm telling you that it has lost its effectiveness in treating tapeworms. It can be done by withholding feed for 24 hours and higher dosing which I prefer NOT to do.

Both Safeguard and Valbazen are still very effective products in treating various types of roundworms. I use them along with other wormers.
Zimecterin Gold contains more Ivermectin than praziquantel, so I've switched from Z-Gold to Equimax which contains more praziquantel, in treating tapeworms only. Ivermectin has a long withdrawal period and I dont use it anymore for worming due to its ineffectiveness in treating roundworms most likely due to overuse in poultry for treating external parasites.

When I worm my birds, especially for most types of roundworms which are more common than tapeworms, I worm them very early in the morning before letting them out of their coops to feed. They havnt eaten yet and the birds are starving hungry, so are the worms. I feed them the wormer and it's very effective killing the worms. I withhold the chicken feed after worming for about 2 hours and then let my birds eat.

However for tapeworms, I withhold their feed several hours before birds go to roost the evening BEFORE worming them with Equimax the next morning. Then, several hours later I only feed my birds a little at a time because they will be starving and will gorge feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard. I feed them a little at a time gradually increasing the amount of feed for the next several hours back to normal feeding routine.

When using a product with Ivermectin in it, I know it has a long withdrawal period. Ivermectin has been used in humans to treat worms, also albendazole. Biltricide aka Praziquantel has been used in humans to treat all kinds of parasitic infections in humans including tapeworms and flukes.

When it comes to products containing Ivermectin, I generally toss the eggs in the garbage for 14 days, even though it's longer. I HAVE eaten eggs knowing there's residue in the eggs after using Ivermectin products, and here I am still typing after all these years. Albendazole along with Fenbendazole are benzimidazoles which are mostly excreted and are poorly absorbed into the bloodstream in poultry. The residue in the eggs is minute and we eat the eggs after dosing with either Valbazen or Safeguard. I'm still here typing.

However, if you suspect that you or a family member might be susceptible to an adverse reaction due to residue in eggs from ANY wormer, by all means toss the eggs in the garbage for a period of time that YOU decide when they are safe to eat.

Do you use the Wazine before the Valbazen or just straight Valbazen?
Wazine isnt sold anymore and it only treated large roundworms in poultry. Chickens can get many types of worms. That's why you need a broad spectrum wormer such as Safeguard, Valbazen, Pyrantel Pamoate or Levamisole that treats all types of roundworms. Wanting to know what types of worms your birds have is irrevelant since they ALL are broad spectrum wormers. I just use either Valbazen, Safeguard, Pyrantel Pamoate or Levamisole to worm my birds for the different types of roundworms, no vet checking feces needed. Save $$.

Last edited:
Wazine isnt sold anymore and it only treated large roundworms in poultry. Chickens can get many types of worms. That's why you need a broad spectrum wormer such as Safeguard, Valbazen, Pyrantel Pamoate or Levamisole that treats all types of roundworms. Wanting to know what types of worms your birds have is irrevelant since they ALL are broad spectrum wormers. I just use either Valbazen, Safeguard, Pyrantel Pamoate or Levamisole to worm my birds for the different types of roundworms, no vet checking feces needed. Save $$.
Thank you for both of your answers. I had read that the best order for worming with Valbazen was first the wazine then valbazen so the birds could easily expel the worms, however, with it not even being sold, that helps that question. Right now, I know we are dealing with tapeworm in one chicken specifically, but I am going to treat all of them at the same time.
For the egg withdrawal, does that time start the day you administer the wormer?

Back
Top Bottom