Equimax withdrawal time frame for deworming

I've dealt with tapeworms many times. They are a pain in the butt to get rid of because their hosts are insects. Chickens eat insects. That said, not all insects are going be hosts for tapeworm infections. Controlling the insect population can be done but I prefer not to for safety reasons.

I've used Valbazen, Safeguard, Zimecterin Gold and Equimax to treat tapeworms.
Safeguard liquid goat wormer did not treat them at all. Valbazen worked initially, but I'm telling you that it has lost its effectiveness in treating tapeworms. It can be done by withholding feed for 24 hours and higher dosing which I prefer NOT to do.

Both Safeguard and Valbazen are still very effective products in treating various types of roundworms. I use them along with other wormers.
Zimecterin Gold contains more Ivermectin than praziquantel, so I've switched from Z-Gold to Equimax which contains more praziquantel, in treating tapeworms only. Ivermectin has a long withdrawal period and I dont use it anymore for worming due to its ineffectiveness in treating roundworms most likely due to overuse in poultry for treating external parasites.

When I worm my birds, especially for most types of roundworms which are more common than tapeworms, I worm them very early in the morning before letting them out of their coops to feed. They havnt eaten yet and the birds are starving hungry, so are the worms. I feed them the wormer and it's very effective killing the worms. I withhold the chicken feed after worming for about 2 hours and then let my birds eat.

However for tapeworms, I withhold their feed several hours before birds go to roost the evening BEFORE worming them with Equimax the next morning. Then, several hours later I only feed my birds a little at a time because they will be starving and will gorge feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard. I feed them a little at a time gradually increasing the amount of feed for the next several hours back to normal feeding routine.

When using a product with Ivermectin in it, I know it has a long withdrawal period. Ivermectin has been used in humans to treat worms, also albendazole. Biltricide aka Praziquantel has been used in humans to treat all kinds of parasitic infections in humans including tapeworms and flukes.

When it comes to products containing Ivermectin, I generally toss the eggs in the garbage for 14 days, even though it's longer. I HAVE eaten eggs knowing there's residue in the eggs after using Ivermectin products, and here I am still typing after all these years. Albendazole along with Fenbendazole are benzimidazoles which are mostly excreted and are poorly absorbed into the bloodstream in poultry. The residue in the eggs is minute and we eat the eggs after dosing with either Valbazen or Safeguard. I'm still here typing.

However, if you suspect that you or a family member might be susceptible to an adverse reaction due to residue in eggs from ANY wormer, by all means toss the eggs in the garbage for a period of time that YOU decide when they are safe to eat.
When you worm for tapeworm, do you do the inject method or moistened down small amount of feed? I have some 3ml syringes, but would prefer the feed method if possible. We lost our favorite to raccoons just last week and this one with tapeworms is our other favorite, I am scared to harm her.

However for tapeworms, I withhold their feed several hours before birds go to roost the evening BEFORE worming them with Equimax the next morning. Then, several hours later I only feed my birds a little at a time because they will be starving and will gorge feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard. I feed them a little at a time gradually increasing the amount of feed for the next several hours back to normal feeding routine.
——
how would you recommend feeding them small bits? Would you separate each bird and give small hand fed sizes of feed? I am quite new and am looking up as much as I can, but some things are harder to research! Such as re introducing food after withholding it. I have six, and they definitely will be gorging themselves if I don’t prevent it. Thanks!

I've dealt with tapeworms many times. They are a pain in the butt to get rid of because their hosts are insects. Chickens eat insects. That said, not all insects are going be hosts for tapeworm infections. Controlling the insect population can be done but I prefer not to for safety reasons.

I've used Valbazen, Safeguard, Zimecterin Gold and Equimax to treat tapeworms.
Safeguard liquid goat wormer did not treat them at all. Valbazen worked initially, but I'm telling you that it has lost its effectiveness in treating tapeworms. It can be done by withholding feed for 24 hours and higher dosing which I prefer NOT to do.

Both Safeguard and Valbazen are still very effective products in treating various types of roundworms. I use them along with other wormers.
Zimecterin Gold contains more Ivermectin than praziquantel, so I've switched from Z-Gold to Equimax which contains more praziquantel, in treating tapeworms only. Ivermectin has a long withdrawal period and I dont use it anymore for worming due to its ineffectiveness in treating roundworms most likely due to overuse in poultry for treating external parasites.

When I worm my birds, especially for most types of roundworms which are more common than tapeworms, I worm them very early in the morning before letting them out of their coops to feed. They havnt eaten yet and the birds are starving hungry, so are the worms. I feed them the wormer and it's very effective killing the worms. I withhold the chicken feed after worming for about 2 hours and then let my birds eat.

When using a product with Ivermectin in it, I know it has a long withdrawal period. Ivermectin has been used in humans to treat worms, also albendazole. Biltricide aka Praziquantel has been used in humans to treat all kinds of parasitic infections in humans including tapeworms and flukes.

When it comes to products containing Ivermectin, I generally toss the eggs in the garbage for 14 days, even though it's longer. I HAVE eaten eggs knowing there's residue in the eggs after using Ivermectin products, and here I am still typing after all these years. Albendazole along with Fenbendazole are benzimidazoles which are mostly excreted and are poorly absorbed into the bloodstream in poultry. The residue in the eggs is minute and we eat the eggs after dosing with either Valbazen or Safeguard. I'm still here typing.

However, if you suspect that you or a family member might be susceptible to an adverse reaction due to residue in eggs from ANY wormer, by all means toss the eggs in the garbage for a period of time that YOU decide when they are safe to eat.
Great info, thanks!! How long are you withdrawing eggs for when using praziquantel or equimax?

Great info, thanks!! How long are you withdrawing eggs for when using praziquantel or equimax?
Equimax is the horse paste? Is the dosage still a pea size, doesn't matter for weight? I have regular sized sexlinks and then huge orpingtons...

Back
Top Bottom