Equipment that is needed to raise baby chicks

We're brand new at this. We just picked up our first three chicks yesterday. I believe we spent a total of $54 at the feed store. This included:

3 chicks ($2 each), a 5 lb bag of chick food, a feed dish, water dish, big bag of bedding, heat lamp and light bulb, and chicken wire (to make a lid). We already had a large rubbermaid box to use for the brooder, and a thermometer at home.

We haven't set up our coop outside yet, but that cost us $200.

We used a ceramic heat lamp plus a 60W incandescent with a reflector suspended over a large inflatable pool for our brooder.  The lamp and light we already had and use for our corn snake in the winter time (because we keep the thermo low then), but since it was high summer when we raised our chicks, they were available.  Worked awesome.  The pool was $10, the lamp and light together were about $50 when we got them.  Feeder and waterer were around $10 total, and the bedding (which was paper towels for 2 weeks and then pine shavings) was very cheap as well...less than $20 by the time we moved them all into the coop.  Then there's the feed (not expensive) and electricity to operate everything (not bad at all)....so actually quite cheap. :)

You paid 50$ for lamp and bulb, where did you get that at. I only paid 5.99 for my ceremic lamp and another 8$ for the bulb. For 65$ you can get an Ecoglo .

Back
Top Bottom