ERRATIC EGG YIELDS

ggbrit

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 6, 2012
Hello - I am hoping someone will be able to help me on this question. I have about 27 hens and 2 young roosters in one large run with two good size chicken houses. I have six nesting boxes. Some of the flock was given to me so I don't have details as to age or provenance. I know I have a Speckled Sussex, a Wyandotte, some Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpington, based on research.

I feed them organic layer pellets with organic fruit and vegetable scraps; they are safe from predators, they have clean water and good shelter.

This is the issue. Their egg production veers wildly from zero a day to 15 a day, for no apparent reason. Saturday last was 15, Sunday was 2, Monday was 10, as an example. I have people who wait to buy the eggs and I would like to be able to have a steady supply for them, as well as myself!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any insights. Being a very new chicken flock manager, I need all the help I can get! ?Thank you.

It could just be that's the way it's working out. Today, I had 3 hens out of 17 take a rest, so I got a whopping 14 eggs. Other days, I may get 9 or less. My hens are fairly consistent in their production, but I know they could easily all "decide" to take a break on the same day and I get no eggs at all. I look at my egg production on a week-to-week basis, rather than day-to-day to get a clearer idea of what is typical production from my girls.

I have 9 hens under two years, so all a laying. I rarely get 9 eggs, usually 7 each day, sometimes 3.

It does just vary.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom