Erratic humidity in the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by qutechick, Jul 7, 2016.

1. qutechick

qutechick New Egg

Jun 4, 2016
    Hi All,

I am using an incubator for the first time. According to the guidelines from the manufacturer, I have to maintain a humidity of 60 and increase it on day 18 to 65. I am battling to keep the humidity at 60. It goes down to 40 and up to 66. Most of the time it is above 60. How do I control this. Is the high temperature going to affect the outcome at the end? Please help.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

60% humidity is going to be too much for the first part of incubation. The eggs will not lose enough moisture at that kind of humidity. I like 35% for the first 7 days, I then candle and check air cell growth and adjust the humidity if I need to. Then I bump it up to at least 65% at lock down. Humidity is a differing factor for everyone due to their homes or environment. What works for me may not work for you. Please do check out this ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    It has a great section on humidity which is not a set number for everyone.

Good luck and enjoy the article!

3. shawn54

shawn54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    I'm rather new to incubation and I went nuts trying to regulate my rh in my bator and I started with turkeys 28 days!!!!!!! The first two weeks I added and removed sponges trying to get it perfect then I talked to a older gentleman who said I was going to kill myself if I didn't stop he told me is more about average rather be than exact rh if it's high for a day let it go low a day so I started adding water every 3 days would have a day high day low and a day just right. But for last 3 I take it up to 70% . I do look at air cell and may add water or remove it to get air cell to proper size 3 or 4 days before lockdown. Most important rh is at lock down. Welcome and good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. shawn54

shawn54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    Also a lot of people don't listen to directions that come with bators and I didn't either I went with "dry method " highs in 40% lows in the high teens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by