Escape chicken

Foxystorm

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2021
So my uncle gave me his flock of 10 hen's because he just didn't want them anymore I have probably 22 chickens without his 10 but apparently his chickens didn't go in a coop at night and he had chicken's that even with clipped wings could still get enough lift to get out of the pen which honestly I don't really mind if they wonder it's a pretty big property they have taken to sleeping in this old garage that doesn't have a door anymore but I want to get them to go in the coop at night with the other hen's ware it's safe but his chickens aren't easy to catch so I'm trying to think of a way to catch multiple chicken's at once any ideas

I would opt for the easiest way out. If you know they go into that garage at night to sleep. During darkness, your eyesight is much better than a chickens'. Go in at night, and with the help of another person,,, catch then one by one. You catch, and hand over to associate. They just stuff into a large pillowcase, 3 at a time. You can choose a dog cage if you have one to transport caught hens to your coop. With a dog cage, you can do job solo.
Once you have them inside your coop. keep them locked up for a few days. Go inside, and release your current flock of 22, best way you can. After a few days of being inside the coop... (with food, and water plentiful of course) as well as light. Release them together with the rest of flock into your run area. If you do not have a secure run,,,, and free-range your flock, your integrating, and teaching newcomers does get slightly more challenging.
I don't know how your chicken coop, and run are set up. Just throwing out ideas with best guesses
BTW,, If the flyers are still flying over fences. THE WING CLIPPING IS MOSTLIKELY NOT CORRECT, OR INSUFFICIENT..:idunno
I can provide instructions on pretty good wing clipping if you want. Another Option, is to clip only one wing. This way, their flight is lopsided, and they give up. :old

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I would opt for the easiest way out. If you know they go into that garage at night to sleep. During darkness, your eyesight is much better than a chickens'. Go in at night, and with the help of another person,,, catch then one by one. You catch, and hand over to associate. They just stuff into a large pillowcase, 3 at a time. You can choose a dog cage if you have one to transport caught hens to your coop. With a dog cage, you can do job solo.
Once you have them inside your coop. keep them locked up for a few days. Go inside, and release your current flock of 22, best way you can. After a few days of being inside the coop... (with food, and water plentiful of course) as well as light. Release them together with the rest of flock into your run area. If you do not have a secure run,,,, and free-range your flock, your integrating, and teaching newcomers does get slightly more challenging.
I don't know how your chicken coop, and run are set up. Just throwing out ideas with best guesses
BTW,, If the flyers are still flying over fences. THE WING CLIPPING IS MOSTLIKELY NOT CORRECT, OR INSUFFICIENT..:idunno
I can provide instructions on pretty good wing clipping if you want. Another Option, is to clip only one wing. This way, their flight is lopsided, and they give up. :old

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Yah I tried clipping only one side but they are not so much flying as jumping as high as they can sticking thair feet in the fence and then proceeding to James Bond climb the rest of the way over some of them never open their wings to do it is kinda hard for me to be down there at night before I don't live at the same location as the chickens and I work out of town. Funny thing is I have been their at 11 o'clock at night and have seen the flock of 10 walking around as a group so for some reason they don't roost fully at night they seem to get up and walk around several times a night for some reason they also don't always go to the garage some times it's up in the apple tree or under the porch thair really odd chicken's

I'm thinking I might try what I did with the other chicken's when I first got them every evening I would tap on a can of tuna and give them the fish and would run them inside so my old flock now runs to me any time they hear me tap on metal I might try and get the 10 to fallow that sound as well and just lead them into a confined area

Clambering. You need to clip shorter and possibly both sides. See link below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-containment-with-perimeter-fencing.1261276/
It's not thair Wings I lagit took a elastic band and pind one's wing's down to see how they were getting out and she lagit just Paracord her way jumping on the coop door then to the nesting box on the the roof would get a running start jump off stick her feet into the fence and climb the last foot to the top of the fence like she's James bond

Is the fence you're talking about the fence of their run? I was trying to read your couple of posts and getting a little bit confused. Did your Uncle give you these chickens and now they're on different property and still escaping and climbing fences?

Yes
Is the fence you're talking about the fence of their run? I was trying to read your couple of posts and getting a little bit confused. Did your Uncle give you these chickens and now they're on different property and still escaping and climbing fences?
The fence is a big pen that has the chickens and goats in I'm 5'7 and fence hits about my chest.

Yes my uncle gave me his chickens and I'm on a different location I keep my animals on my grandmas property but I live about 20 minutes away

It's not thair Wings I lagit took a elastic band and pind one's wing's down to see how they were getting out and she lagit just Paracord her way jumping on the coop door then to the nesting box on the the roof would get a running start jump off stick her feet into the fence and climb the last foot to the top of the fence like she's James bond

Is she smart enough to get back in?

I clip escapees' wings, but I did have one California White that I stopped worrying about because she was smart enough to fly back in once she was done with whatever she was going outside.

I told her that if a stray dog ate her it was her own fault and let matters be since she never went very far.

Is she smart enough to get back in?

I clip escapees' wings, but I did have one California White that I stopped worrying about because she was smart enough to fly back in once she was done with whatever she was going outside.

I told her that if a stray dog ate her it was her own fault and let matters be since she never went very far.
They never go far but they don't go into the coop at night with the rest they wanted to wander around during the day it wouldn't be a big deal as long as the went back to the coop at night but we have racoons they lagit walk around at night in a little group

Back
Top Bottom